High rev gear change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High rev gear change

Ok here goes. I have had a look through the forum and there have been a few cases of this but there has never been a post stating that there was a specific problem and how fixed.

The other day this just suddenly started happening when I started the Surf (3ltr TD, auto, kzn130 2nd gen).

It revs really high before changing gear and the top gear seems to have gone. It is like I am driving with ect and the OD buttons pressed in. But I assure you they aren't.

The revs are going up to 3500 rpm before changing into 2nd gear and almost as much up into 3rd. But then no 4th gear. It went back to normal the next day when I started her up but went to get more ATF anyway to do a flush and change.
    The next day it has started doing it again even though I did change the atf. Anyone any ideas? I have checked the wires from transmission and even disconnected the battries for any hour to make sure the ECU was reset. Nothing helping so far.
    Member of the 115,000k club

Mine did this. It's the ecu. Replaced mine and its fine again now.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

If it is the ECU you could try disconnecting the battery(ies) for 2 mins to reset it and see if that cures the problem. If not then you may need to source a replacement (try Stormforce for 2nd hand spares).
      Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
        If it is the ECU you could try disconnecting the battery(ies) for 2 mins to reset it and see if that cures the problem. If not then you may need to source a replacement (try Stormforce for 2nd hand spares).
        Originally posted by PC-Surf View Post
        I have checked the wires from transmission and even disconnected the battries for any hour to make sure the ECU was reset. Nothing helping so far.
        He already tried that, think Id have to go with chillit and just change it out

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

poo bum arse!!
          Cheers guys I'll update to let you know.

Comment

Make sure you get a 3 litre ecu as the 2.4 runs seperate boxes for engine/box/other stuff and the 3 is all in one.
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Cool, will do. Thanks. Are they expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by PC-Surf View Post
                Cool, will do. Thanks. Are they expensive?
                Depends on the good character of the chap selling! mine was very reasonable.. Given that I though It was the gearbox knackered!! And it's a 2 minute job, as opposed to the hassle of diggling about with Auto boxes..
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Didn't someone else have this problem the other day, they drove it in low then put it back in high & it solved the problem, try it, you've got nothing to lose.
                  I'm not a complete idiot.......

My kneecap was removed in 1981

Comment

Here it is http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47760

Comment

Sorry, just realised you've already been on there, now I'm becomming a post whore.

Comment

and me, I seem to be resurecting old posts more than creating new ones! I have tried this, it didn't work not straight away anyway. Although the next day it had gone away only to come back the next day after that. Looking for a new ECU.

Comment

you can get your ECU repaired. i had the same prob and got mine repaired about 2 weeksago. all if great now...

Comment

Not sure where I could get mine done though to be honest. I'm hunting around. Cheers,

Comment

auto sparky. if they say they dont do them, you next question is "know where i can get it fixed then?" after about 3 calls i found someone that would fix it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X