Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air conditioning squeal

Evening All,

Before I start buying replacement air con unit, is there any servicing I can do to the present pump set up?.

There is a high pitched squeal when ever I switch on the air conditioning system, from the centre of the wheel and it looks to keep sticking. The belts seems to be tight enough, so can only assume that there is a bearing in the middle that has seized up or issticking.

Has anybody offer any advice on serving it and help advise what I need to do.

Thanks in advance.

Also, Can I take the unit off, whilst servicing it and keep driving the car?

is it the wheel on the air con pump itself thats sticking and causing the problem if so i may have one knocking about in the garage but won't be able to look till the w/end
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The clutch on the front of the A/C pump is just an electro magnet.
      It's either a slipping belt, (alternator or a/c) or the shaft bearing is dry and needs a squirt of WD40.

You can remove the A/C belt and still drive the truck, only remove the pump if there's no gas in the system.

Comment

Which Surf do you drive - no details in your profile.....

On the 3L there is an adjustment bolt just above the belt, you tighten that, and it's like using mouse repellant - the squeak goes away....try that first.
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Thanks guys,

Thanks for the offer for bit, the weekend will be fine if you can find it.

Can I remove the front of the pump, clutch plate etc to check if there is a stuck shaft bearing or if it needs a blob of grease or spray with wd40.

Can i do this without releasing the gas first. Tried spraying with wd40 first, but made no difference. wheres the best place to squirt it in from, so I dont get the belts also?

Comment

Thanks Mudsurfer, just missed your response.

Yes it is the 1993 3TD version. I did check the tension first, but it seemed ok. I will give it an extra twist and possible change the belt over the weekend. Have ordered a new one from roughtrax, which came but is the toothed belt and I havent got round to fixing it yet.

Comment

Mine does this if I haven't used the aircon for a while. I think it's more to do with the compressor not being able to circulate the gas properly, which causes the aircon pulley to stick, which causes the screech where the belt runs over it. It could be due to low aircon gas or a stuck one way valve regulator in the system (under the front passenger side of the dash). Had mine replaced a few years ago. You can get a kit from Halfrauds to regas it yourself and to check the pressure. About £40 for both.

It could also be the aircon tensioner bearing. Mine gave up the ghost last week when it disintegrated. Funnily enough it was far quieter with the bearing gone, even though the tensioner pulley was still revolving on the shaft. £75 for a replacement from the dealer, which will hopefully be in this afternoon.
              Mike G

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the bearing can be replaced with out taking the whole thing apart and doing the regas bit? I have seen threads where it was mentioned that they replaced the bearing, but no one has posted detals how it could be done.

Thinking of taking it apart over the weekend, but looking for a few pointers first?

Comment

If you haven't taken it apart yet, don't - just check the simple bits first, check the tension, run the system for a few days, sounds like it hasn't been used much - don't go pulling stuff to bits only to find you didn't need to. Halfrauds do a regas kit for not much money, you can check the current level and top up if you need to - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId_35126

Have fun!
                  Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Success, After a regas from Halfords and the belt being tightened, all is now working!

Tightened the belt so that I could feel a bit or force when turning the belt in the middle.

Thanks everybody.

Next the stopped Speedo.

Comment

Squealing Air Con (the undying sequel)

Hi all, sorry to resurrect an old thread but it's the only one which mimics the issue I'm having.

I've got a 1996 gen 3 surf and I'm currently driving it from England to Portugal (ironically so I can go surfing).

Anyway. I've got as far as Spain and a squealing has developed on the drivers side when the air con is switched on.

So. Re gas, WD40 and adjust knob thingy is on the cards as per this thread... Just one problem.

I have no idea where any of those bits are in the car.

My billion peso question is this : where is the air con unit under the bonnet so I can WD40 something and tighten something else.

It's very hot here...

Ant (currently driving through Spain)

Comment

First thing to check is the drive belt to the aircon compressor. As it only happens with the aircon on, the chances are the drive belt is loose. While checking, make sure it's not too badly worn. Get someone to turn the aircon on and off while you check it and see if the belt flaps about when under load.
                        Last edited by Tankerman; 11 August 2015, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Tankerman View Post
                          First thing to check is the drive belt to the aircon compressor. As it only happens with the aircon on, the chances are the drive belt is loose. While checking, make sure it's not too badly worn. Get someone to turn the aircon on and off while you check it and see if the belt flaps about when under load.
                          Might be worth NOT checking the belt tension with your fingers.
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Very true.

Comment

Coolio - where can I find that drive belt? and compressor?

The only belt like objects I can see are what I assume is the fan belt at the front middle of the car engine bay but I get the impression the compressor is squirreled somewhere else?

If you can give me a steer I should be able to furtle from there (I hope)

Ant

Comment

Working...
                              X