Awesome Towing Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Towing Performance

Good News to report. My faithful Surf has delivered again!

Its a bog standard 3.0TD 2nd Gen SSR-V. It has just towed my trusty old Cosworth all the way to Spa Francorchamps circuit in Belgium. This included 4 blokes weighing 63 stone combined about 400kgs of spares, tools, luggage and spare wheels/tyres, jerry cans etc. I reckon it must have been near to 5 tonne all in.

Only once did we get an A/T oil temp warning and this was the big climb up to the circuit and it is big! We averaged 65-75mph all the way and it returned 20mpg. Its simply an amazing vehicle. I`ve had it 2.5 years and its here to stay.

Heres a couple of pics, the Isuzu did not make it!

Loving the saph. Any details on it. Fords are my first love im afraid

Comment

The Saph has been with me a few years now and the veteran of many many track days. Its been clouted a few times and just thrugs it all off. It runs a steady 310hp and the engine has been in 3 years without fault. It did 485 miles at Spa over two days and never faultered in the very wet or dry conditions. I have slick, inter and wet tyres with me to cope with whatever conditions it faces.

I`ve just built a 400hp three door car,so soon to put the Saph into retirement depending on how reliable the new cars proves. The Surf and Woodford trailer have been superb and it tows arrow straight, a good all round combination really.

Here the new car:

Comment

i just returned a trailer i hired for the day.A 1 ton tilt bed with winch.50mph is all i could do unloaded as the ass end starts to sway about.Had the temp upto 3/4 going up a fairly long hill but once to the top the temp dropped back to normal.With surf on the trailer was a bit more of a struggle but the truck pulled it ok.I will probably hire the trailer again to collect my other truck from Southampton in a couple of weeks time.
        It will be a long slow drive home but there's no rush and i was happy with the wat the surf pulled today
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I've got a 2 ton gross weight tilt bed, and would'nt dream of putting a 2 ton surf on it!! 'cause it would be overloaded, trailer is 1/2 ton 1 1/2 tons left, 1/2 ton over weight, if I remember correctly, a car can't tow over 95% of it's own weight either.Trailer hire company and Plod may not take to kindly to your efforts either if you get caught. Just be aware!!
          Spose someone will now say different, but that's how I understand it.
          Take care mate.

edit if it sways, move the load forward a bit.
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Lots of vehicles are rated to tow well over 100% of their kerb weight,
            strictly speaking though you cannot tow anything with a Surf as they are not plated ie no axle loading figures, no max tow weight.
            ionic SURFactant

Comment

Originally posted by steved View Post
              Lots of vehicles are rated to tow well over 100% of their kerb weight,
              strictly speaking though you cannot tow anything with a Surf as they are not plated ie no axle loading figures, no max tow weight.
              Surf's are PLG's, (whats a 4runner?). My old Mondeo, did'nt have axel loads, but still towed it legally, 'cause it was'nt 95%. My trailer is a Brian James clubman, tiltbed & winch (2tons gw) with brakes!! (THAT WORK).
              I once nearly rear ended an Audi A4 ' cause the borrowed trailer I was towing was un braked, wot a seat grabber!!!.
              http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/PICT0007.jpg

EDIT: check towing limits at the bottom of this thread
              Last edited by GRASSMAN; 25 July 2008, 22:44.
              If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

The Isuzu in the picture had the car loaded on backwards at the start of the journey(even though i advised against it). Needless to say we had to stop at the first services to turn it around. It was fine after that.

My Woodford is a 3.5t gross weight trailer so its always well within its limits. Its fair to say that you can easily tell when your vehicle is on its limits as soon as you drive it.

I think 2- 2.5t is enough for a Surf depending on journey length. As for the plod pulling you, in my experience, if you are down to 15mph uphill on the motorway with smoke bellowing from your tow vehicle expect a pull. If it looks right they will leave you alone.

Comment

Ben sounds like you had an awsom weekend!let me know when your next going out of the uk and i'll join you with my rx7 if you dont mind!

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
                    if I remember correctly, a car can't tow over 95% of it's own weight either.
                    its not as simple as that, trouble with Surf are there is know offical tow caps, so you're stuck with the 100% of vehicle weight.

Some UK Toyota dealers list a 4Runner can tow 2200kgs, others 1500kg but the US 4Runners are rater to tow 1500kg.

Kerb weight of a 4Runner is 1950kg. 2nd Gen Surfs come in at 2040 or 1950kg on different SVA forms.

Its annoying cos, SWB Def 90's only weight 1900kg, but are rated to tow 3500kg trailers, same as a LandCruiser Amazon, weight 2500kg but can tow 3500kg trailers so the 85% or 100% limits are only vauge guidelines.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      its not as simple as that, trouble with Surf are there is know offical tow caps, so you're stuck with the 100% of vehicle weight.

Some UK Toyota dealers list a 4Runner can tow 2200kgs, others 1500kg but the US 4Runners are rater to tow 1500kg.

Kerb weight of a 4Runner is 1950kg. 2nd Gen Surfs come in at 2040 or 1950kg on different SVA forms.

Its annoying cos, SWB Def 90's only weight 1900kg, but are rated to tow 3500kg trailers, same as a LandCruiser Amazon, weight 2500kg but can tow 3500kg trailers so the 85% or 100% limits are only vauge guidelines.
                      so will i be ok to pull a 1t trailer to eastleigh then bring a surf home on it.I will only be doing a max of 50mph anyway as i never like pushing it with a trailer( or before someone says i'm meant to pull it)

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                        so will i be ok to pull a 1t trailer to eastleigh then bring a surf home on it.I will only be doing a max of 50mph anyway as i never like pushing it with a trailer( or before someone says i'm meant to pull it)
                        No one on a public forum is going to say it wise to put a 2t truck on a 1t trailer, but use your common sence and things will be OK.

Technically you're way over weight, physically a 3l Surf can tow pushing 3t, I've done it, all the way from Cornwall to Hants, the radiator can't handle much more than 2t up long hills with the ATF cooler still hooked up, but thats about it.

If you can't prove your vehicles Gross Train Weight, then 100% vehicle weight is the technical max you're likely to get away with if you get any hassle.

If the trailer is loaded nicely, and you don't do anything to draw attention to yourself, you will be unlucky to get any hassle, especially at weekends.

Lindas truck tows heavy trailers much nicer with lots of nose weight, i always load the Surf pointing forwards on the trailer, have it forward enough to load the rear springs up quite abit. It'll tow dead straight, but the downside its looks like you over loaded more than you are. But I'd rather take my chances and have a solid tow than it swinging around.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sorry, but in my opinion you would definately be overwight here. Like I said before, if it looks okay you will probably get away with it but a Surf pulling a Surf looks a bit iffy.

Having said that TonyN has forgot more about these things than any of us will ever know so for the chapter and verse on your legal obligations heed his advice or proceed at your peril !

Comment

Thanks Tony.I knew you had pulled quite a load but just thought i would double check before i decide to hire the trailer again.I have got an oil cooler here from Jokers old truck so i may fit that just to help things along a bit.
                            I won't be in a rush to get home so i don't mind taking things steady and stopping every so often just to give the truck a bit of a rest,plus i will be traveling on the sunday evening/night after monster mania so the roads should be fairly quiet

Comment

Rob,

The trip to Spa was our annual trip overseas. We only do it due to the cost involved. So next year if you are up for it i`ll let you know.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X