Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake pads

hi there

i recently posted what i needed for my MOT and since i need new brake pads at front. i am still driving my surf on a daily basis with the brakes grinding (stupid me) however, i have noticed a kind of pumping motion when pressing the brakes does this mean that the discs are buckled? i have had a quick look at the discs through the wheel and dont see any scoring yet! how will i know which disc to replace if it is knackered and how much will this cost to replace?

kind regards me

If they are grinding then they will probably be scored on the inside. Inside pistons are prone to sticking more than the outer. You will need new rotors if they can't be machined within the limit. I'd say you have allready overheated and warped the rotors. You may as well rebuild the calipers while you are at it because they probably have damaged seals. It takes very little time to do a lot of damage once the pads are worn out.

Nev

Comment

hi

i am assuming that a rotor is a brake disc? what if the discs are not scored on the inside? and how much will this full unit cost as ive seen discs for £25 in milners. like i said how will i know which disc is warped? is it noticable to the eye or by running a finger over it? should i be using more brake fluid than normal because the pads are now worn?

kind regards me

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Angry View Post
        i am assuming that a rotor is a brake disc?
        Yes

what if the discs are not scored on the inside?
        Grinding = scored disc. No ifs or buts.

like i said how will i know which disc is warped? is it noticable to the eye or by running a finger over it?
        Scoring should be obvious. Warpage can be determined with a dial test gauge.

should i be using more brake fluid than normal because the pads are now worn?
        Huh?

Nev

Comment

I should also mention that when replacing brake components then do both sides. It's not safe to replace only one disc or set of pads.

Nev

Comment

i'm sorry but i can't let this one go by without comment, if you are stupid enough to use a vehicle with virtualy no brake pads then you deserve any problems that arise from doing it , the one thing to cause sticking caliper pistons, slide rods and boiling the fluid is the heat generated by running a brake pad steel backing against the discs and i can't believe you are still knowingly doing it, you only have the rear brakes stopping you effectively, you are not only putting your life at risk but the person(s) you run into.

Comment

Mr Angry; I think what soramad is trying to say is that if you're knowingly driving around with defective brakes, then you're a tw4t. I tend to agree...
              Last edited by Albannach; 11 July 2008, 22:21.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

i just had to add to what we all know regarding this issue but when someone asks a person to stop smoking knowing its killing you - would you? the answer would most likely be NO. unfortunate for me i have to work and need my transport, yes i do know it can be dangerous and yes i do know it is causing damage - a lesson learned on my behalf but for people to say what a #### or an idiot doesnt answer the question it just adds to the anger grrr anyhoos time for the brake change lol

regards Mr Happy

Comment

'still driving round with no breaks then'

what happens if a small child runs out infront of you?

oh yea i forgot, you have to go to work.

i must agree with Albannach for calling you a t*** three weeks ago, for the safety of outhers.
                  Last edited by davemaxx; 1 August 2008, 01:32.

Comment

No judgement on my part - but can i just ask why you haven't been able to get round to sorting out your brakes in 'x' amount of time?!

Comment

yes i do have to work so if a kid runs out in front of me then the kid has no chance anyways wether breaks are good or not. the brakes were working and stopping fine and for the record i changed them today with the help of people replying to this thread

3 out of the 4 pads were fine. only 1 of the pads on drivers side had worn down to nothing and had scored the inside of the disc. do you think i will need to replace the drivers side disc or leave it as is???????

i am going to sell my surf anyways as diesel prices are through the roof now and as i have a kid due in 3 weeks i need something more family orientated.

if people can find the time to ridicule folk like me for a worn pad then thats your opinion, if i thought for 1 second that the car was dangerous then i wouldnt drive it!

2 hours to change drivers side 10 mins to change passenger side all to do with the pins bending and mushrooming etc... but done now!

for the people who did help thanks again!

mr angry grrrrrrr

Comment

ok now that ive done the brake change i did notice the the brakes are spongy and that the pedal presses all way down to the floor. when i changed the pads i made sure that the resovior was open, i did press the pistons back with a screwdriver so i could get the new pads in, is this correct? and any ideas on how to make the breaks more firm?

kind regards mr angry grrrrrrr

Comment

, if i thought for 1 second that the car was dangerous then i wouldnt drive it!
                          You feel qualified to make that call?

Knowing you only have 5mm of metal holding the disc to the hub? once this gets cut through, the brakes do nothing, you're happy to leave it?

This is what happens when you leave worn pads in, it doesn't take long, especially at any sort of braking effort to stop a 2 ton truck.

You need 3mm of pad left to allow sufficiant cooling at avoid warping discs and hardening the seals, once the pad is gone the back just cuts the disc off the hub.

There is a lot of overly paranoid stuff posted about what you must and mustn't do, but brakes are important, treat them with respect.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

well said that man

Comment

you did start the thread by saying that you where preping your surf for the mot, so i would sincerly suggest booking it in as soon as possible and asking the mot blokes to sort the breaks out for you,

if your going to sell it you'll get a better price with a 12 month mot anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X