X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankseal on a 3.0TD

Hi

Got a possible oil leak on what i think is crankseal?! on a 3.0TD 4runner,
    this follows an oil change, slight overfilled it by 4mm, but drained off excess after 50miles of driving (by unscrewing oil filter a couple times).
    i did spill some oil when filling, but there still seems to be a slow leak when driving.
    it is from around the two pulleys that the fan belts go on, right at bottom of engine, and not the timing belt cover region,
    i think the crank seal on a 2.4TD is on the timing belt? seems to be different on a 3litre,

has anyone changed this seal? is it easy? any helpfull tips?

cheers
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Hey mate,

I replaced the crank shaft seal on my 3.0TD Surf a while back - not sure if this is the same one youre speaking of - but if it is it's a pretty nasty job...

I was replacing the clutch and gearbox so decided to do it at the same time - which meant pulling the g.box, clutch, and flywheel all the way back to the back of the crank housing. About 5 or 6 hours swaeting and swearing. From here it was a matter of using a seal puller, or simialr sharp object to remove the old one and slip the new one in.

A new one was around $150NZD from Toyota themselves as no other non-genuine part dealer had them. I had a mobile mechanic come out and give me a hand so I didnt arse it up, and we surrunded the entire seal in LocTite [ cant recall the exact model ] on the ourside, with grease on the inside of the seal.

Then that was pretty much it - in theory real easy, but just lots of hard work.

Hope this helps you out,

G

EDIT: I knew it was the crank seal because of the steady leak coming from the join where the bell housing joins onto the back of the block, and only when the engine was running. Kill the engine and it would stop.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 23 May 2008, 05:46. Reason: Added a bit more...

Comment

Working...
    X