Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4Runner 3.0TD Electrics and turbo light

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a '95 4Runner, but I think I've not been sold and all together honest example. Apart from the interior lights not working (missing fuse) the trubo light goes on and off seemingly randomly. I've read up on the check connector usage to trouble shoot, but, if the check connector is supposed to be attached to the relay/ fuse box in the enginge bay, then mine is missing, together with what the other relay / fuse box next to it is supposed to be for. I've found two cables with connectors under the main box, and I am wondering if the two missing items should plug into these. Don't suppose anybody could confirm the location for the check connector, and if these two missing items do connect to connector plugs? Also, if the fuse is missing for the interior lights, does anybody have any thoughts what I should check before reconnecting, as I suspect it's missing due to some other issue.

Cheers in advance for any information.
    R.

The turbo light on the 4Runner is an overboost/fault indicator light, so if its flashing on and off randomly you need to perform a diagnostics check to find any faults that have been logged in the ECU.

Re: the interior light, I presume you've checked the bulbs or sticking door switches.

Comment

My car is a KZN130 with a 1KZTE engine, and my diagnostic connector is on the passenger side of the car, just behind the wheel arch - a little balck box that you can flip the lid up on. Here is the procedure (but enusre you use the right list of trouble codes for your model and engine):

NOTE: Not all trouble codes will activate MIL (CHECK ENGINE light)

Before proceeding, make sure the:
      CHECK ENGINE light circuit is functional. It should be ON when the ignition switch is ON with the engine stopped.
      Battery voltage is above 11 volts.
      Throttle valve is fully closed (Throttle Position Sensor IDL points closed).
      Accessory switches (A/C, etc.) are OFF.
      Engine is at normal operating temperature (if possible).
      Turn ignition switch to ON position.
      Do not start the engine.
      Place a jumper wire across TEl and El terminals in engine check connector.
      Count number of flashes from CHECK ENGINE light.
      If system is operating normally (with no detected faults), the CHECK ENGINE light will blink continuously
      and evenly about 2 times a second.
      Otherwise, the light will blink a number of times equal to the trouble code as follows:
      The light blinks only (.5 second ON, .5 second OFF) when indicating a number.
      The light will be OFF for 1.5 seconds between the first digit and the second digit of the code.
      If more than one code is stored, the light will be OFF for 2.5 seconds before the next code is displayed.
      Once all code(s) have been displayed, the light will be OFF for 4.5 seconds and then the whole sequence will repeat.
      The diagnostic code series will continue to repeat as long as the check connecter terminals TEl and El are connected.
      When finished, remove the jumper wire.
      After repairing the malfunction, clear the codes from the ECUs memory.
      Clearing Trouble Codes

All trouble codes must be purged from the ECUs memory after repairing the faults. Otherwise, code(s) would remain in the ECUs memory indefinitely and would appear along with a new code in the event of a future problem.

Remove the EFI fuse (15A) for 30 seconds with the ignition switch OFF to clear any codes. It may take longer than 30 seconds, depending on ambient temperature (the lower the temperature, the longer the fuse must be left out).
      Trouble codes can also be cleared by disconnecting the vehicle battery. However, other memory functions (clock, radio, etc.), will need to be reset.
      After the codes are cleared, road test the vehicle (as applicable for the fault) and recheck if any codes reset. If so, it indicates that the trouble area has not been repaired correctly.

For faults, check Page DI 12 here: http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

Good luck.
      Last edited by yorta2; 2 December 2007, 00:02.

Comment

Cheers for the update. I am still at a loss over where my check connector is. I have taken a picture from the area that you mention, any chance you can point me in the right direction. The wing is the top edge of the picture.

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showp...7/ppuser/15253

Cheers

R.

Comment

Sorry rjm67, but your engine bay is entirely different to mine. However, being a '95 model, you may have an OB2 diagnostic reading system, and the connector may be under the dash. In that case, the diagnosis needs to be made with an electronic reader. I have no experience with these, but tend to think (and it's only a guess) that your light flashing on and off, as if it has a mind of its own, may be the actual error codes being displayed. (??) Someone else may need to advise here. Your local mechanic or auto electrician should be able to help.

Comment

Working...
          X