Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which model do I want?

Hi there!

Sorry to have to ask the eternal question again: want a surf under £3000, so probably a pre-95 model. Which one do I want? What to look for? Is this cylinder-head problem to be expected on all engines, or just some?
    Many thanks and I appreciate anything you'd want to teach me.

Originally posted by Surf-wannabe
    Hi there!

Sorry to have to ask the eternal question again: want a surf under £3000, so probably a pre-95 model. Which one do I want? What to look for? Is this cylinder-head problem to be expected on all engines, or just some?

If you can find a 3 litre 2nd gen for the money, then that would be the better option.

Some of the 2.4's suffer with cracked heads, but also so do a small number of 3.0l one too ( but nowhere near as many)

Manual/auto is a personal preferance, although the auto's are more common, and I think it's easier to drive a 2 ton motor when it's an auto.

Things to check would be the same for any car, plus the following;

1) Check the 4wd system is engaging/disengaging properly

2)check the air con works

3) check that ALL the electrics work, windows (all 5) and sunroof if fitted.

4) check the coolant expansion tank has water in it ( about 1/3rd full) and it's not orange.

5) check condition of tyres for uneven ware, as this may indicate a more expensive repair other than just tracking, and a good set of tyres could cost £300-£400

6)check the dipsicks for oil levels/condition ( the auto box oil should be a nice red colour)

7) check that car sits level and does not have a "saggy arse" or it will need new rear springs

8) check engine bay is nice and clean, as this will indicate if the prev ious owner did more than just wash the outside.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Try and go for a gen2 1993 perhaps, 3.0ltr. Insurance and diesel mileage about same as 2.4 but more grunt, and whilst predominantley its the 2.4 that is prone to head failure, they both are to a degree. Theres no substitute for maintenance, as long as you look after and change regularly the oil, coolant, thermostat and filler cap, you should be fine, look for oil or water in the wrong places, run them hot before you buy to make sure they dont overheat, and get it up to 80mph, watching temp.

For that money you should be able to get a mint low mileage one.

Cant stress enough how much fun it is owning one of these.
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Guys, thanks so much! You have no idea how much I've wanted one of these now... will try to take your advice with me. Trouble is there is no such vehicle here, only on Ebay... like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-TOYOTA-Hi...QQcmdZViewItem
        What sort of mileage should I expect for this money?

Comment

Roughly 75k miles, bearing in mind displays are usually in kilometres. There are some for sale on the forum i think, but be prepd to travel for a good one, dont get suckered to the first one you see. And if fuel is an issue (23mpg) then read up on pro's and cons of veg oil as your fuel.
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Oh and that one on ebay looks pretty good, give it a mamoth once over with someone who knows surfs if you can. Check every switch and back window works on both cab switch and key
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Aye, It don't look too bad at all, you'd probably get that if you put a late bid of £2.5k and get it for the £2k if that makes sense?

That would leave you a grand for lifts and other mods, he he.

But as said have a look round, they seem to be dropping in value all the time,
              18 months ago you'd have paid that for a 1990 2.4
              Rob

Comment

Hi Plumbob

Just to blow my own trumpet,

I have a 3.0L surf that is almost in showroom condition, Mot'd til July 5th 2008 ,Tax til Jan, cambelt changed 25/06/06 65000miles. It's definately worth checking out. its also in the classifieds with pics

I'm in Stevenage Herts.

Cheers
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Surf-wannabe
                  Hi there!

Definately check the for sale section on this forum, there are several 3.0l in there, and at least if you do a search on the sellers posts, you can see what has been done to it, what better service history?
                  Rob

Comment

I managed to get mine of ebay for under £3000 about two months ago. Well chuffed. Not showroom condition but in great nick well looked after mechanically. Take your time now you know what you want, theres loads about with loads of different specifications, my advice would be make a list of the things you really want and keep an eye on the auctions. Don't jump at the first one you see unless its exactly what you want.

Good luck
                    Last edited by chaiwalla; 7 November 2007, 20:48.
                    Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

Comment

If you see anything you fancy my side of the Midlands, I'm happy to come along with you to give it a 'once over'.

As others have said, unless you buy really cheap, go for a 3.0. There's little difference in fuel, plenty of difference in power, and whilst ALL engines known to man have suffered head failures, of the two diesels available in the Surf, the 2.4 with the earlier version head has by far the most head problems.

Oh, and that eBay one doesn't look bad, though I'd say the price is a little high for that mileage. It's the best colour though...
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                        If you see anything you fancy my side of the Midlands, I'm happy to come along with you to give it a 'once over'.

As others have said, unless you buy really cheap, go for a 3.0. There's little difference in fuel, plenty of difference in power, and whilst ALL engines known to man have suffered head failures, of the two diesels available in the Surf, the 2.4 with the earlier version head has by far the most head problems.

Oh, and that eBay one doesn't look bad, though I'd say the price is a little high for that mileage. It's the best colour though...
                        Tut Tut pay nooooooooooooooooo attention - ya know ya just know ya want a BURGANDY one - but hey prob aint many for sale as when ya got one....ya keep it
                        How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Oh yes !!!!!!!! Well said Bibs!!!!! Burgundy ones are the muts

Blue: Common
                          Green: Yurgh
                          Black: So-So
                          Grey: Dull
                          BURGUNDY: Absolutely flippin heck as like the best colour on the road!!!!!!!

Go Burgundy, but you may need to up your budget to £7,500 for a tatty one thats done 345,000 miles.
                          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by Apache

What's your side of Midlands, Apache? Can't see it... yes, I think the one on Ebay is a bit pricey for that mileage. Thanks again you all, very grateful for your time!

Comment

No probs mate, just remember to change your handle soon from surf-wannabie to..... well .... something else

Remember burgundy 3-doors set the standard of the whole genre of this vehicle!!!! and by no means can any other colour even compete. He He

Aint that right bibs???!!!

If it wernt for the three burgundy 3-door owners, this site may be overlooked.
                              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                              X