idler arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idler arm

should the stud end of the idler arm (the bit with the ruber boot on it, and castleated nut) be locked solid, i mean am i right in thinking that the movement part of this component is at the other end where the plastic bushes are housed, and the rubber boot over the stud is only just a cover, and the stud isn't a moving part?

Originally posted by davemaxx
    should the stud end of the idler arm (the bit with the ruber boot on it, and castleated nut) be locked solid, i mean am i right in thinking that the movement part of this component is at the other end where the plastic bushes are housed, and the rubber boot over the stud is only just a cover, and the stud isn't a moving part?
    I just replaced mine with a new unit as the old one was very slack.

The castleated nut should indeed be tightened up and then locked with a split pin.

It moves around both joints but the nut isn't locked as such!

I just tightened mine up as tight as I thought appropriate and put the split pin in!

Later!

Gary
    Last edited by hellmett; 8 June 2007, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by davemaxx
      i mean am i right in thinking that the movement part of this component is at the other end where the plastic bushes are housed, and the rubber boot over the stud is only just a cover, and the stud isn't a moving part?
      Nope, that end is a ball joint, it needs to pivot as the idler arm and tie rod move. Otherwise it would snap off as you turn the steering!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've still got my old one here if anyone wants to service it. Freebie!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
          I've still got my old one here if anyone wants to service it. Freebie!
          me 2
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
            me 2
            I have a pile of them in the metal recycling heap!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Not worth servicing then?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

thanks very much for your replies, i was on the phone to rough trax this morning and they confirmed to me that it does swivel, but is also a very tight joint (you won't make it move with your fingers unless its goosed) i was asking this question because when i fitted new bushes the other week and following threads on the forum there was no referance to its service and i asumed it was just a static stud.

the problem i have got is this pulling to the left, i have now found that the lower ball joints have about 7mm lift in them each side and the uppers about 2 or 3 i recon that they are contributing to the problem and need replacing. can anyone give me some tips on fitting both the upper and lower ball joints i can't see the point in only doing the lower ones because the mot is next febuary and by then the uppers ect........

Comment

Working...
                X