No announcement yet.

Follow up to "Quick question - Battery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might just take the plunge and buy two together, winter is approaching.

Thanks for your help Bushwacker!

I take it these batteries will fit any surf?
    Last edited by iggypop; 3 October 2006, 11:46. Reason: something to add

Comment

Originally posted by iggypop
      I might just take the plunge and buy two together, winter is approaching.

Thanks for your help Bushwacker!

I take it these batteries will fit any surf?

Those numbers are from Ian619 when he bought new batteries for his 2.4 surf, they'll be the same for the 3.0.

Comment

Disconnect both overnight.

Following morning, connect one, try to start, disconnect.
        Connect other, try to start, disconnect.

If it goes well with one and not with the other, you've found your duff battery.

If it starts on each in turn, suspect something's draining the batteries overnight.

If it won't start on either, it's not charging or the fault *is* with the starter circuit.

Comment

I thought I'd just try the startup on the individual batteries and what do you know - one works and one doesn't. So I think it's a fair assumption that that is the problem sorted. Just deciding whether to get 2 batteries as I mentioned earlier (winter approaching) or just get the one.

My missus needs the truck again tomorrow so I'm charging the duff one, for what it's worth, to stick on in the morning, probably be ok without it but I thought if I leave it on overnight it might drain the good one and if she drives around tomorrow and the lead earths where it shouldn't......... I don't know perhaps I'm wasting my time?

Anyway cheers all - another lesson learnt!

is it me or do the smilies keep moving around and new ones appearing?

Comment

Battery problems

Guys, I've just picked up this thread. My surf showed exactly the same symptoms last month - started fine one day and dead the next (dashboard lights still on etc etc). Ended up being one dead battery. I checked the batteries for charge by disconnecting them one in turn to see that one wasn't providing and charge at all. I didn't think a battery would just break like that.

New battery and everything's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              These are the codes/part numbers from Toyota for the batteries......

BATB3- BATTERY (MVP) T28800-YZZAG
              BATB4-BATTERY (MVP) T28800-YZZAH

They are left and right handed.

Around £45 each.

Mine weren't handed, both exactly the same, but fitted in opposite way round in carrier, suspect one's been changed already. I paid £29+vat from my local factor but do get trade price.

Comment

Your terminals must be in the centre of the batteries then, the Toyota ones have the terminals to one side/edge of the battery.

Comment

Duds ?

Only a suggestion but would'nt it be quicker, easier and solve the problem once and for all just to take your car to your nearest tyre/exhaust/BATTERY fitter and just have them checked properly. I did last week as a fail safe, just befor fitting new starter motor contacts and it took the fitter about a minute to check both of them, and it was FREE.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Your terminals must be in the centre of the batteries then, the Toyota ones have the terminals to one side/edge of the battery.
                    Nope they are at the edge & one is a standard Toyota one.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...urf/BattOS.jpg
                    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...urf/BattNS.jpg
                    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...f/BattBoth.jpg

Cables are a little tight but they do reach.

TOY231 That's what I did, ran down there just on the one good battery & then let them confirm it.

Comment

??duff battery

This is spooky we are having the same problem, first start up (not every morning)won't turn over sometimes struggling to turn, ,no other symptoms,, Use jump leads and starts pretty quickly. then if we go out it starts fine there after, Been fine for a couple of days Our son works for Vospers Commercial, he checked it didn't show any problems, but we are convinced it is the battery, He is pricing one up for us today. Tiime of year,m weather changes and as ian says to me we have had a very good hot summer prob cells dried up a little, , i expect none of us check our batteries as often as we should!!!!!!!
                      We have done well had the car 3 years no problems ever with the battery stil go the toyota one in there, so really don't know ho old it is, so replacing it,. Keeping fingers cross it is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton
                        Nope they are at the edge & one is a standard Toyota one.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...urf/BattOS.jpg
                        http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...urf/BattNS.jpg
                        http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...f/BattBoth.jpg

Cables are a little tight but they do reach.

TOY231 That's what I did, ran down there just on the one good battery & then let them confirm it.
                        Your 'standard' Toy battery is on the wrong side, like you said they reach, but its tight. If you buying batterys it makes life easier to get the right battery for each side.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi

I only have 1 battery...would Toyota be able to do the conversion to add the 2nd???? Is it worth it? What are the benefits?
                          [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
                            Hi

I only have 1 battery...would Toyota be able to do the conversion to add the 2nd???? Is it worth it? What are the benefits?

If your battery is more than 700cca, then you shouldn't need a second battery.

Surfs with two batteries normally have a lower cca rating, but are connected together.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...aintenance.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X