Follow up to "Quick question - Battery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up to "Quick question - Battery"

Thanks for the suggestions/tips everyone, but I think it was a red herring.....

I've got home from work and had a look and I'm sure it's not the Battery/ies. When the key is turned the lights on the dashboard are flashing really well and I can hear the solenoid clicking really loudly. There's no sign of the "flashing/clicking" slowing down either. The Starter Motor just isn't even attempting to turn. I've tried hitting it with a metal bar & hammer but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Any more advice anyone? I've never had an automatic so I don't know if you can "bump start" one. Also I don't really fancy pushing a huge truck up and down the street.

At a guess, I'd say starter solenoid contacts..

There's been a few threads recently about changing them.. Do a search, and I'm sure all wil be revealed...
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by iggypop
      I've never had an automatic so I don't know if you can "bump start" one. Also I don't really fancy pushing a huge truck up and down the street.

You can 'bump start' an auto, but you need to get it up to about 40mph first!

Comment

Bump start it is then! NOT!

Ok, I've just been reading some threads about the starter motor kits. Sounds like a right b*stard to do.

So to get the truck started and over to the garage tomorrow for the wheel bearings/hub bushes job it's booked in for, it MAY start with perserverance yes? But then the wife might get stranded if she stops anywhere!

I think I may have to cancel the bearings/bushes repair rather than face the missus after I cause her to get stranded!!

So the old "hitting the starter motor with a big hammer" method doesn't work on these then? I just wondered if I was hitting it hard enough!

Just when you think you're getting somewhere..................... .....

Comment

The tapping method has been known to work on Surfs.

Try connecting some jump leads up from another car to give the truck batteries a boost.

Comment

Right, I'm going to give it another go. Bl**dy thing, it never gave any sign before that anything was wrong! It always started really well.

Comment

Well I tried the tapping method again - no luck.

I used some jump leads from my wifes car and it did make a difference, it was turning the starter motor slightly. This makes me wonder now, perhaps it is the battery/ies. I've taken one of the batteries off and I'm giving it a charge now. See what happens in the morning.

I just can't understand why it's happened so suddenly, it was used yesterday and all was fine, started first go and everything and nothing was left switched on to flatten the battery/ies.

Can one duff battery as mentioned before drain the other good battery to a point where you get what appears to be a sudden reaction like this?

OR

Can the starter motor pack up without any warning?

Comment

It usually gives a clicking noise before the starter gives up.
                You did tap the starter while an assistant was turning the ignition key didn't you?

Comment

Yeah, it's hard to reach the starter (as you know) but I just got a piece of metal tube and placed it on the big round cylinder part of the starter motor and hit the other end with a claw hammer. I didn't want to be too brutal but I i did it give it a good few whacks while my wife was on ignition duty.

Comment

Fingers crossed then it's maybe the batteries.

Comment

Thanks again Bushwacker - we'll see what tomorrow brings. I have to roll out of my pit before 5:30 on a normal day so I'm not looking forward to the morning - oh well pass me that violin

Comment

Originally posted by iggypop
                        Well I tried the tapping method again - no luck.

I used some jump leads from my wifes car and it did make a difference, it was turning the starter motor slightly. This makes me wonder now, perhaps it is the battery/ies. I've taken one of the batteries off and I'm giving it a charge now. See what happens in the morning.

I just can't understand why it's happened so suddenly, it was used yesterday and all was fine, started first go and everything and nothing was left switched on to flatten the battery/ies.

Can one duff battery as mentioned before drain the other good battery to a point where you get what appears to be a sudden reaction like this?

OR

Can the starter motor pack up without any warning?

my batteries went just like that just got two new ones all fine
                        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

One of mine just up & died the other week but because they are in parallel it brings the other one down. I disconnected both, charged them up & tried to start the Surf with each one independantly, one worked the other wouldn't. Ran for a few days on just one then put a new one on. When you do this just be careful of the loose positive battery lead make sure it doesn't earth, I left my batteries in place & only disconnected the earth on each that way i knew the positive was safe.

Comment

Yeah it's the battery/ies, I charged one last night and put it on and charged the second over night and stuck it on this morning and it started fine. The missus is gloating now 'cos it's "what she said all along"!

So to do a test all I need to do is remove the Neutral lead from each battery in turn and attempt to start it, is this correct? I suppose now that they've both had a full charge, both might work for short while before doing this test perhaps?

I've got a multi meter (that I don't really know how to use) would a duff battery show up on this, even "fully charged" (if I figure out which setting to put it on!)?

How much should I be paying for a new battery and is there any particular size / type I should be looking for?

Comment

These are the codes/part numbers from Toyota for the batteries......

BATB3- BATTERY (MVP) T28800-YZZAG
                              BATB4-BATTERY (MVP) T28800-YZZAH

They are left and right handed.

Around £45 each.

Comment

Working...
                              X