Cold start rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold start rattle?

Used the missus's truck this morning, when i got out to open a field gate I noticed a rattle form the engine, sounds like a tappety sort of thing, soon went when the engine was warm. I don't normally drive the thing so it may have rattled for some time

Are they Hydraulic tappets, or manually adjusted?

Suggestions for anything else that might give a similar sound?

Paul

3rd Gen 1996 3ltr TD 110,000km

How long since the engine oil was changed?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      How long since the engine oil was changed?
      It was serviced at 87,000 and now has 106,000km.

Just realised i don't really know the service intervals for the truck, but i'm waiting for a quote for some work by Tony(?) in Basingstoke @ 4x4 toys that includes a major service so it will be serviced soon.

Popped to see Tony at lunchtime but with no noise (the engine was warm by then) to be heard there was not alot he could say.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by DitchCrawler
        It was serviced at 87,000 and now has 106,000km.

Paul
        If it's not had an oil service since 87,000 Kms, it's done 12K miles on the same oil

Some people change oil every 3,000m, as cheap insurance, but I would personally never exceed 5-6,000m on a good quality syn/semi-syn oil. Oil/filter are a lot, lot cheaper than a wrecked engine!
        Brian

Comment

I have got the same but i know the surf is overdue on its service but as soon as i get the filter i will be changing the engine oil and see what it's like then
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
            If it's not had an oil service since 87,000 Kms, it's done 12K miles on the same oil

Some people change oil every 3,000m, as cheap insurance, but I would personally never exceed 5-6,000m on a good quality syn/semi-syn oil. Oil/filter are a lot, lot cheaper than a wrecked engine!
            I totally agree, its "er indoors" truck to use and I had no idea what sort of milage she was clocking up, I'll get busy with the spanners and change the oil and filter(if I can find one locally) straight away & and hope that all is not lost

Anybody use fully synth? is it worth the extra cost?

Paul

Comment

I just changed both my own and my wife's using fully synth oil, the cost difference was'nt that much I found. To my mind it's suppose to keep the engine cleaner and I think that it will tolerate you missing the alloted oil change better.

I did'nt use a top brand (comma) but provided it meets the correct specs for a turbo diesel I don't think it makes a lot of different. How much do you pay for the Brand name and flashy packaging?

On my Corvette the only recommended oil is fully synth Mobil 1 and that's has the same price weight for weight as Gold (or that's what it feels like)!!
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx View Post
                I just changed both my own and my wife's using fully synth oil, the cost difference was'nt that much I found. To my mind it's suppose to keep the engine cleaner and I think that it will tolerate you missing the alloted oil change better.

I did'nt use a top brand (comma) but provided it meets the correct specs for a turbo diesel I don't think it makes a lot of different. How much do you pay for the Brand name and flashy packaging?

On my Corvette the only recommended oil is fully synth Mobil 1 and that's has the same price weight for weight as Gold (or that's what it feels like)!!
                And the reason they recommend Mobil 1 is because the company has Mobil 1 sponsorship in all their motor racing entries!

Comment

I just use the cheapest oil I can find and change it every 3000 miles. My ex father in law (used to be in lubricants testing for Shell years ago) told me expensive oils for new engines, cheap oil changed frequently is just as good for older engines.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    I just use the cheapest oil I can find and change it every 3000 miles. My ex father in law (used to be in lubricants testing for Shell years ago) told me expensive oils for new engines, cheap oil changed frequently is just as good for older engines.
                    I was told exactly the same thing by a Q8 technician that i used to work with, & i'll let you all into a little secret, Q8 oil is in all B&Q, HOMEBASE & MOTOQUIP containers, "top grade oil" at a fraction of the cost of the Q8 bottle.
                    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I have a tappet rattle at both cold start and under load.
                      Oil and filter less approx 2;5k ago.
                      Noise seems to be getting slowly worse but only under load, say accelerating from standing start or going up a hill.
                      Are the tappets adjustable, if not any solutions.

Other problem is that if I fill oil up to max I develope an oil leak until I have lost about a litre then the leak stops. Leak seems to be either at head gasket or rocker cover level along side of engine. Cant quite see where it comes from.
                      Dont believe the head gasket has gone and if it had cant see why the leak would stop after losing a litre.

Sorry, forgot to say I have a 2.4L but picked up on this thread using the search button.
                      Last edited by Nostromo; 14 December 2009, 19:00.
                      In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
                        I have a tappet rattle at both cold start and under load.
                        Oil and filter less approx 2;5k ago.
                        Noise seems to be getting slowly worse but only under load, say accelerating from standing start or going up a hill.
                        Are the tappets adjustable, if not any solutions.

Other problem is that if I fill oil up to max I develope an oil leak until I have lost about a litre then the leak stops. Leak seems to be either at head gasket or rocker cover level along side of engine. Cant quite see where it comes from.
                        Dont believe the head gasket has gone and if it had cant see why the leak would stop after losing a litre.

Sorry, forgot to say I have a 2.4L but picked up on this thread using the search button.
                        make sure the oil filtrer is on tight and the oil is not seeping from that, that is of course if the leak is on that side
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Sorry, other side, top end.

Comment

when i start my truck from cold first thing its ok but once the truck is up to temp the oil pressure drops to the first mark then the top end rattles.It has done this for about 4 years now since the truck got hot and i lost all oil pressure and blew the turbo.
                            You will need to take the rocker cover off and gauge the gap under the cam so you can replace the shims of the right size then that shouild sort it.
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                              You will need to take the rocker cover off and gauge the gap under the cam so you can replace the shims of the right size then that shouild sort it.
                              Cheers Richard. At last a bit of no nonsense straight forward advise. So rare these days. Does my nut when a posting goes off at a tangent for 6 pages and then still no real advise at the end.
                              Will get shims done after xmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X