No announcement yet.

Cold start rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be able to get the shims from Toyota easy enough anyway i should think.They should be the same as 4runner but not certain tho
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
      I have a tappet rattle at both cold start and under load.
      Oil and filter less approx 2;5k ago.
      Noise seems to be getting slowly worse but only under load, say accelerating from standing start or going up a hill.
      Are the tappets adjustable, if not any solutions.

Other problem is that if I fill oil up to max I develope an oil leak until I have lost about a litre then the leak stops. Leak seems to be either at head gasket or rocker cover level along side of engine. Cant quite see where it comes from.
      Dont believe the head gasket has gone and if it had cant see why the leak would stop after losing a litre.

Sorry, forgot to say I have a 2.4L but picked up on this thread using the search button.
      Check the PCV valve on the valve cover is clean, it relieves pressure from the crankcase, could be the reason for your loss of oil if bloked and the crankcase is pressurising.
      What type engine oil are you using? Semi-synthetic will cause engine rattle until it's up to temp.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Check the PCV valve on the valve cover is clean, it relieves pressure from the crankcase, could be the reason for your loss of oil if bloked and the crankcase is pressurising.
        What type engine oil are you using? Semi-synthetic will cause engine rattle until it's up to temp.
        Running on semi synthetic. Rattle is present most of the time unless I back off the gas. Rattles when cold, under load (going up hill) or when accelerating.
        What is a PCV valve, what does it look like and where is it located exactly?
        In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

my engine rattle is all the time Vince so would you say i need to get the shims done or try a different oil,if so what would you reacon to use and would it pay to put a tin of that STP stuff in aswell

Comment

Running on semi synthetic. Rattle is present most of the time unless I back off the gas. Rattles when cold, under load (going up hill) or when accelerating.
            What is a PCV valve, what does it look like and where is it located exactly?
            The PCV is on top of the valve cover, with a black rubber hose that connects onto the intake tube that goes from the air filter housing to the turbo.

If you pull off the end that connects to the intake tube when the engine is running, you should be able to see a slight oil vapour coming out of the end of the hose, if not then the valve is blocked and will need flushing through. I used white spirit on mine to clean it.

Whats the oil pressure like under load?

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              my engine rattle is all the time Vince so would you say i need to get the shims done or try a different oil,if so what would you reacon to use and would it pay to put a tin of that STP stuff in aswell
              The amount of miles your truck does, plus all that heavy towing, it's probably piston ring and or bore wear rather than valve shims.
              I used to use that additive called Grease lightning in my 2.4, that silenced it a treat. It's really thick goo, you'll need to keep the can indoors overnight this time of year to warm it up as it takes ages to pour out.

If I were you I'd use 20W50 oil as it's slightly thicker for worn/high milage engines.

Comment

The amount of miles your truck does, plus all that heavy towing, it's probably piston ring and or bore wear rather than valve shims.
                I used to use that additive called Grease lightning in my 2.4, that silenced it a treat. It's really thick goo, you'll need to keep the can indoors overnight this time of year to warm it up as it takes ages to pour out.

If I were you I'd use 20W50 oil as it's slightly thicker for worn/high milage engines.
                cheers Vince i shall get some and do an oil change and also fit my atf cooler aswell and put some antifreeze in as i haven't had any in for 3 years
                Also by adding thise stuff will it put my oil pressure back up a bit.I don't have the rattle until its up to temp and then the pressure drops to the first mark or just under it

Comment

Whats the oil pressure like under load?
                  Oil pressure guage reads at 3/4 when under load or at speed and about 1/2 when at low speed say around town.

Richard, if by STP stuff you mean something like slick 50, you should only use that in either a new engine to prevent wear or a realy poor engine with low pressure as a last resort. It permenantly coats moving parts and if you use it in a normally good/run in engine you will have to have it ground off if you ever replace any major engine part.

Comment

thanks for that Mark.Iam basically just trying to make the engine last for as long as i can because if i get a decent compensation payout then Vince will be doing a v8 for me hopefully

Comment

Oil pressure guage reads at 3/4 when under load or at speed and about 1/2 when at low speed say around town.

Richard, if by STP stuff you mean something like slick 50, you should only use that in either a new engine to prevent wear or a realy poor engine with low pressure as a last resort. It permenantly coats moving parts and if you use it in a normally good/run in engine you will have to have it ground off if you ever replace any major engine part.
                      Your oil pressure seems ok to me Mark as long as its between/on the 1st and 2nd marks its ok

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                        basically just trying to make the engine last for as long as i can
                        I you aren't bothered about the engine thats in it now and its a bit worn out then wack the slick 50 in. if nothing else it might run a bit smoother ang give a little more mpg.

Comment

I will shove some in when i do the oil change.If the worst happens i do have another complete engine if the compo don't come through in time

Comment

Just found this on google for future reference.

Blue Corral, the manufacturers of the Slick 50 engine oil additive, have been banned by the Federal Trade Commission from making claims about reduced engine wear, increased fuel economy and lower running temperatures in it's advertising in America. The Federal Commission found the company's claims of increased performance and reduced wear were unsubstantiated, and Blue Corral has agreed to pay upwards of $20M in damages to affected customers.
                            Source: Max Power magazine, March 1998

Comment

surprising what you can find out ain't it.Even if i can just reduce the noise a bit it will be something.I'll see how the stp or slick50 stuff goes and report back once done

Comment

I am getting round the engine rattle problem at the moment.
                                using a combination of turning up the stereo along with the loud whinning noise coming from the MT tyres i have just put on. Should they make such a loud noise, its like been followed by an air raid siren. Fule consumtion has gone down hill as well. Should I coat the tyres with slick 50?

Comment

Working...
                                X