what oil in 30 td

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what oil in 30 td

Hi all new to the forum, just bought a 96 30 td, I want to give it an oil change, what oil do I use synthetic, semi synthetic or diesel turbo oil, very pleased with my buy so far, thanks mayto

semi synthetic

Comment

Thanks Bell End, what grade do you use? and at what service intervals? I am giong to have to get a manual for it. I have always taken them for granted before, but I am stuck without one, thanks Mayto

Comment

15w40 every 3000 miles

I just use the free stuff from work thats not semi synthetic but i believe the recommendation is as i posted.

Comment

Just thought of another question, if it has been running on mineral oil and I put semi synthetic in will they have a reaction and visa versa, or would it have to be flushed?

Comment

I allways use a flush to get my old oil out and give it a clean at the same time most people recommend wynns, you can get it at halfords for a fiver

Comment

Thanks for your advice Bell End much appreciated, mayto

Comment

Don't bother...

With flushing oil you are really wasting time, all good modern oils do the best job they can by holding the dirt in suspension so that the filter can deal with the nasty stuff. If you go from a mineral oil to a semi/fully synthetic oil you will only need to drain the old oil from hot...take care not to scald yourself when draining....allow a goodly drain time say 20 mins or so and then re fit the sump plug with preferably a new sump plug washer/seal. Change the filter ....watch for the spill off tube as it dumps oil under the left front side of the engine bay....fill with your chosen oil (I use Castrol GTD Magnatec) and if its a fully synthetic then you don't need to change it so often; but consider a filter change and top-up....fully synthetic was originally designed to never need changing as it doesn't break down like mineral oil....they dropped a *ollock here because that reduced oil sales, so now they just tell you to change it as for normal oil...which of course fully syn isn't.

If you really must use a flushing oil don't run the engine too long it won't do it any good. The high loads generated in a diesel especially on the crankshaft journals and the dubious load bearing qualities of flushing oil could well do more harm than good.

Comment

I totally agree with 'The Mechanic'
                  Brian

Comment

Thanks Mechanic, it all sounds sensible, sorry for the late reply, been away for a few days, thanks again....mayto

Comment

10w/40 is good enough.....anymore and your wasting your money. Oil changes approx every 10000km or 6000 miles.
                      Gaz

Comment

yep

yep castrol gtd magnatec . ive used gtd for as long as i can remember . its the mutts nuts lol
                        black n tan
                        black n tan
                        yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Where do you get your oil from??
                          Just bought 9ltr Magnatec from Costco for £31 - Halfords are £26 for 4.5 ltr and Motorworld are £37 for 4.5 ltr.

Comment

Just bought some for my other half's surf and it was £22.99 (the cheapest I could find anywhere for 4.5L) Where did I get it?

Down the local BP garage! I guess their prices are fairly static across the country?

Comment

flushed

Hi
                              When ever I flush an engine I use one gallon of cheapo oil and one gallon of parafin (mixed ) much cheaper and Im convinced it does a better job.

Comment

Working...
                              X