MOT Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Failure

well just some blown bulbs.. and a offside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint...

how hard is this going to be to change?? or can i just nip it up a bit??
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

It may want a pump of grease in there too!

Comment

greased it a few weeks ago.. umm more needed?
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Try tightening the nut a bit more, remove splitpin first though!

Comment

Don't over tighten the nut - you'll just make it impossible to undo when you change it. The joints have a taper fit so the nut only really needs to be nipped to get a good mechanical joint. If it's been greased and it still wobbles then it needs changing. Split the taper joint and then there's just 4 nuts hold the ball joint to the suspension arn. The only problem is holding the top arm up - an easy way to do this is to jam something reasonably solid between the arm and the bump stop before you jack the truck up.
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

cheers mate, how easy is it to split the taper joint?

<mutter< angle grinder<<
            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
              cheers mate, how easy is it to split the taper joint?

<mutter< angle grinder<<
              normally 3 or 4 good strikes to the side of the taper with a hammer, you could get a ball joint splitter but avoid the hal£ords ones...... they are made of cheese!
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

jobs a good un, thanks for the help, mot pass!!!

another 12 months of surfin'

btw it flew the emissions, running on 50 percent veg! garage smelt a bit thou!!

didnt know they did a test drive on the mot now??
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                  jobs a good un, thanks for the help, mot pass!!!

another 12 months of surfin'

btw it flew the emissions, running on 50 percent veg! garage smelt a bit thou!!

didnt know they did a test drive on the mot now??
                  my mot station takes the surf out for a run to check the brakes out
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The garage where I get all our vehicles tested, has a platform set into the floor which the tester drives onto and stomps on the brakes and a brake efficiency reading comes up on a monitor. Certainly no joy- riding in my truck!

the guy even adjusted my main beams 'cos they were pointing at the ground since I lifted the rear suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                      my mot station takes the surf out for a run to check the brakes out
                      I used to work in the motor trade, the older rolling roads cant cope with a limited slip diff that the surfs have on the rear, the MOT tester has to use a "deceleration meter" (we used to call it a tapley meter) to perform a brake test. It involved driving on the road and braking hard.

Modern rolling roads can cope with the LSD and they don't need to take them out.

I don't like the smoke test though, it brings tears to my eyes hearing the poor engine screaming on the gov'ner. Luckly the garage I take it to have some mechanical simpathy and dont rev the nuts off it
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                      X