Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump leak

Hi Guys
    I have a fluid leak that looks like it is coming from the power steering pump (fluid reservoir level drops as well to sort of confirm the leak). I have had the o rings replaced on the pipes, but the leak persists. The mechanic says I need a new unit but can't find a supplier. Does anyone know details of the pump on a 1994 3.0td SSRX auto (is there only one type) and where I might get one. Its under warranty from the garage I bought it off but they are a long way away, so the more certain I am about the problem and solution, the less time I have to spend traveling and being without the truck.

All help very much appreciated
    Cheers
    Rob

A new pump will cost you £450 + from the toy dealer. you can get a repair kit for about £50 and its not too difficult to do with the right tools. It's just a right B@$tard getting the pump off, you need ratchet spanners.
    [COLOR=DarkOrange]ONLY STUPID PEOPLE THINK

Comment

pump

mine had a leak from the pump its not a bad job to do a bit fiddly mine was leeking from a o ring on the back (large circlip to remove) so replaced that and its been fine

andy
      I dont know only just got mine!

Comment

check this

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7037

Comment

I had an Audi with a leaking steering pump a mechanic advised one of those oil stop leak products for engines ..wynns i think... its cheap and it worked...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by gluemixer
            mine had a leak from the pump its not a bad job to do a bit fiddly mine was leeking from a o ring on the back (large circlip to remove) so replaced that and its been fine

andy

Is it possible to do this with the pump still in place or does it have to come off??? Think i know the answer but i can only hope

Comment

will be good to know as mine has had a slight leak now for months so i should really get it sorted
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yeh im getting a bit fed up pouring new fluid through it lol.

1 thing i have noticed is that when it gets really really low the car seems to gain another gear. I was driving down the A1 a couple of weeks ago at 70 mph @ less than 2000 rpm In fact it did it all the time untill i topped up the fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
                  I had an Audi with a leaking steering pump a mechanic advised one of those oil stop leak products for engines ..wynns i think... its cheap and it worked...
                  I used one as a stop gap about a year and a half ago but it cured the prob so havent gone any further. Cant think of the name but it was marked "for power Steering system leaks"

Comment

Probably this 1 then. I'll give it a go if i can find some local

Thanks for that

http://www.wynnoil.co.uk/oil_products.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo
                      Probably this 1 then. I'll give it a go if i can find some local

Thanks for that

http://www.wynnoil.co.uk/oil_products.htm
                      thx for the link Nis.I'll get some and give it a try
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                        I used one as a stop gap about a year and a half ago but it cured the prob so havent gone any further. Cant think of the name but it was marked "for power Steering system leaks"
                        Bought some Wynn's Power Steering Stop Leak today - thought I might as well give it a try before forking out for a new rack. It says to put in 5% by volume, but as I dont know how much the reservoir holds, that isn't much help!
                        How much of the bottle did you put in yours as it obviously worked!
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf
                          Bought some Wynn's Power Steering Stop Leak today - thought I might as well give it a try before forking out for a new rack. It says to put in 5% by volume, but as I dont know how much the reservoir holds, that isn't much help!
                          How much of the bottle did you put in yours as it obviously worked!
                          As I said it was over a year ago and I'm a bit of a thicko but if I remember right the fluid was just touching the bottom of the little dipstick and I just topped up to the proper level and kept an eye on it. The stuff I got wasnt Wynns and it was only a small bottle. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD
                            As I said it was over a year ago and I'm a bit of a thicko but if I remember right the fluid was just touching the bottom of the little dipstick and I just topped up to the proper level and kept an eye on it. The stuff I got wasnt Wynns and it was only a small bottle. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow
                            Cheers, that would be very helpful as I'm not sure of thr result of putting too much in.
                            If anyone knows the capacity of the power steering system that would help.
                            Keith

Comment

Hi Keith
                              just had a look in the garage but I must have slung the bottle. I've had a look at the power steering reservoir and the Haynes manual I've got. The manual lists capacities for everything but Power steering system.

On the dipstick attached to the cap there are two notches. Bottom one for Cold, Top for Hot. Fluid level should be at the top of relevant notch.
                              My fluid level was just touching the bottom of the dipstick and I filled to the top of the Hot notch(with a syringe,so it wasnt a massive amount).
                              My reasoning being that if it was going to work I would lose some fluid before it sealed.
                              Luckily enough it worked for me and I havent had any probs since then. (touching wood here)

Comment

Working...
                              X