Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning alloys

Hi Everyone
    Can anyone suggest a suitable cleaner for the standard toyota alloys on a 3rd gen surf
    thanks in advance

Neil

autoglym alloy wheel cleaner.

or

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...FTbDEAodJTqVAw
    Last edited by internetsurfer; 12 May 2006, 18:14.

Comment

Originally posted by GCob427
      Hi Everyone
      Can anyone suggest a suitable cleaner for the standard toyota alloys on a 3rd gen surf
      thanks in advance

Neil

Take one wheel off at a time, then scrub them with hot water and washing up liquid, then rinse or hose off. When dry apply car polish and buff and they will stay clean for a long time and because of the polish they will only need a hose off when dirty.
      Been doing it this way for years.

Comment

Originally posted by GCob427
        Hi Everyone
        thanks in advance

Neil
        They cant be cleaned, they just get progressively worse until they look absolutely terrible. Best solution is to buy some shiny aftermarket ones and sell yours to me. does 20 quid per wheel sound over generous? Go on hurry up and accept my generous offer while Im having this weak moment

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

is there anything you can do if the wheels are pitted and laquer peeling ?? or a place in or near london that are rasonable who will sort em??
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

probably

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
              is there anything you can do if the wheels are pitted and laquer peeling ?? or a place in or near london that are rasonable who will sort em??
              I know a guy who comes to you and recons the wheels, I will have to wait for the old woman to get out of her pit cos she knows where the numer is.
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                They cant be cleaned, they just get progressively worse until they look absolutely terrible. Best solution is to buy some shiny aftermarket ones and sell yours to me. does 20 quid per wheel sound over generous? Go on hurry up and accept my generous offer while Im having this weak moment

Bogus
                Let me think now.........Errrrr NO!

Comment

I used paint and varnish remover on mine to remove the lacquer coating, washed them then polished with autosol. Then to keep them shiney, just wash them as normal when doing the whole truck and re-polish every three months. less in the summer months.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks chaps
                    I think i will try the washing up technique first but get some Autoglym for later.
                    Are the standard 3rd gen alloys lacquered? because most wheel cleaners say not for unlacquered wheels.

Comment

i knew you would have an answer vince,, i think we will have to nickname you dear deidre of the surf forum ,lol
                      thanks vince

Comment

place near me sent my dads wheels off to make them shiny. still look the same a few years later! see after and before pics

(our first SJ was cool! a shame it died)
                        Attached Files
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

tried paint and varnish remover on spare wheel it came up well but could not remove these marks, any other ideas??
                          anyone got any of these wheels (round holes)as my spare is different
                          thanks a lot dave
                          Last edited by joker??; 13 May 2006, 20:08.

Comment

Mine had corrosion marks like that so I used very fine steel wool to rub the marks out followed by the Autosol polish.
                            Depending on how much elbow grease you've got, they will eventually shine again!
                            Also, I painted the un-polished parts of the wheels with black smooth-rite.
                            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 13 May 2006, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
                              I know a guy who comes to you and recons the wheels, I will have to wait for the old woman to get out of her pit cos she knows where the numer is.
                              when you missus awakes charvell wouldnt mind the number cheers dave
                              run out of elbow grease vince
                              Last edited by joker??; 14 May 2006, 13:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X