Steering idler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering idler?

Having read other threads on this forum I think i may have solved my problem but I would like advice from you guys in case i'm miles off.

I bought my 94 3.0td KZN130 Surf last week and driving home i noticed that a wobble could be felt at times through the steering and the whole steering seemed a wee bit vague.
    I checked and adjusted tyre pressures and took the car for wheel balance and alignment.
    I got it back and found the problem of wobble was still there but slightly reduced.
    The bloke said the tracking was out by a fair bit but having it sorted hasn't fixed the feeling coming through the steering.

I also noticed that when driving in a straight line that the steering wheel is not correctly centered ie: pointing right about 5 degrees.

Am I looking at replacing the steering idler/idlers?
    What are they? what do they do and what do they look like?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, hope I can get it fixed.
    Last edited by KERRSURF; 7 February 2006, 21:49. Reason: wrong info
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

have just replace mine look behind n/s front wheel and you will see your steering rack coming of this is a arm that goes forward and bolts onto chassi with 3 bolts. but you are better taking it to a garage and let them check it out first. if it turns out the idler arm is knackered and you have just bought the surf and it had a full MOT it will probably be dodgey because it is an MOT failure. the idler arm stops your wheels from shacking around ie keeps them in a striaght line.
    hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF
      Having read other threads on this forum I think i may have solved my problem but I would like advice from you guys in case i'm miles off.

I bought my 94 3.0td KZN130 Surf last week and driving home i noticed that a wobble could be felt at times through the steering and the whole steering seemed a wee bit vague.
      I checked and adjusted tyre pressures and took the car for wheel balance and alignment.
      I got it back and found the problem of wobble was still there but slightly reduced.
      The bloke said the tracking was out by a fair bit but having it sorted hasn't fixed the feeling coming through the steering.

I also noticed that when driving in a straight line that the steering wheel is not correctly centered ie: pointing right about 5 degrees.

Am I looking at replacing the steering idler/idlers?
      What are they? what do they do and what do they look like?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, hope I can get it fixed.
      Hi,
      Read this....

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...3&page=2&pp=10

From what you say you could have paid for "a pig in a poke"....a reputable repairshop would have isolated /diagnosed the fault then asked what (if anything) you wanted them to do to rectify it....I suspect you took your vehicle into either a "fast fit" place or asked "some mate" to look at it. You have been left in the lurch.....get someone to sort it before you get bigger problems... Sorry, I am not near stirling and am now retired...

peter

Comment

Thanks lads, i'm off to a 'real' garage for advice.

Peter you were right, I went to National tyres for the wheel alignment.

Can you recommend anyone in my area for repairs?
        The car is just passed it's MOT 2 weeks ago, could it be the tester just missed this?
        The rest of the car feels and looks fine so I want to get it sorted out asap.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
        X