No announcement yet.

Rad change tomorrow -where's the stat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad change tomorrow -where's the stat?

On the advice of you chaps, I've bought a new Toyota stat and rad cap for when I change the rad. I understand I have to remove the old stat to flush the system. Where is the stat?

I dont think there is anything else I need to know, but any other snippets of advice are all welcome.

Cheers
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Its down the left hand side, in front of the turbo.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Here is a useful diagram that should help you out. You can see where the thermostat is, in the top left hand corner. Follow the hose, and find the stat.

Hope this helps???
      Attached Files

Comment

This one shows the location.
        Attached Files

Comment

looks like you've got the angles all covered apache..i'll just remind you to put the heaters on full when you refill, although in this weather they probably are anyway..good luck with it..by the way, i doubt you'll need it, but i've still got the thumbnail sent at my request, showing the location of the radiator cap...no? erm, i didn't think so..

Comment

Just completed the job and now waiting for the missus to get home so I can borrow her car and go get some antifreeze! (Forgot the most obvious thing!)

OK, how did it go?

Getting the old rad out was easy. I took out the four shroud bolts and moved it away from the rad so it sat on the fan.

Disconnected the clamps holding air con hose on top of rad.

Took out the rad bolts. I found it's easier to take off the sump guard as it's easier to get at the lower bolts from the underside.

Took off the inlet hose to the turbo. Easier to get at the stat housing bolts.

Now drain! In my case, there was sod all in there anyway!

Took off the two tranny cooler hoses and plugged with (blunt end!) of 8mm drills.

Lift out rad and throw in handy skip (I'm having building work done at the mo).

Try to remove stat housing for 5 minutes, then realise there is another bolt in the casting about a foot lower down... (note to self - look at the diagrams boy!)

Remove air-con pipe clamps from lower stat housing.

Fiddle with the stat for 5 minutes, seemed to stuck by the old gasket. Judicious use of small screwdriver sorted it out.

Now flush!

Mine ran clear after about 2 or 3 minutes but I left it 10 mins longer while I went to have a cuppa and thaw out my pinkies.

In the words of Haynes, refitting is the reversal of removal. Quite easy.

I'll write more once she'd filled with coolant and I've fixed the unexpected hard to get at leaks.

Comment

Wahey! She lives - again!

Filled with 'red' coolant and ran for about 15 mins with the rad cap off expelling bubbles (though not too much) then put the cap on and went for a spin for 20 minutes. Temp needle got to the middle and stayed rock solid.

Looks like a success. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                Wahey! She lives - again!

Filled with 'red' coolant and ran for about 15 mins with the rad cap off expelling bubbles (though not too much) then put the cap on and went for a spin for 20 minutes. Temp needle got to the middle and stayed rock solid.

Looks like a success. Thanks for all the helpful replies!
                check the level for the next week or so just to be sure mate - do the heaters run nice and hot? if so good job
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                  check the level for the next week or so just to be sure mate - do the heaters run nice and hot? if so good job
                  Yep, toasty front and back.

Comment

don't ya just love it when a plan comes together? good result mate.

Comment

Don't I just! Give's me the confidence to tackle anything on the old girl now! And hey look at that, I got a blue star! I figure you guys have saved me at least £250 in telling me how to change my cambelt, service my starter and change my rad and stat. How long till I get my funky 'star' sticker?

Comment

Working...
                      X