No announcement yet.

Where does the transmission cooler go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does the transmission cooler go?

I have the 94 3.0 and around town it never overheats, but on hills and at higher speeds it does overheat as is well documented on this forum.

I want to add a transmission cooler, but I'm honestly a little confused about which one and where. There seem to be 2 sizes that might be appropriate. They are both the stack variety which are essentially the same in size but one is taller 5 1/2 x 11 x 3/4 (the short one) and the other is 7 3/4 x 11 x 3/4 (the taller one). Which one would you guys recommend

Check the website for pictures http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...yden-transaver

Second part to this question. Where does it go? I have seen them mounted near the lower part of the radiator. See the following link if you need a visual clarification: http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ight=Speedflow

but the transmission cooler websites suggest it go higher and up against the AC rad so the viscous fan can help cool it, which makes more sense especially if you are straining the transmissoin at low speeds where natural vehicle airflow would not affect the cooler.

Placement of the cooler may affect size. I'd love to see someone with at 94 3.0 that mounted it higher against the AC rad.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Ruaha

Mitch,

It will get sufficient airflow mounted low down as the air will either flow through when at speed or will be sucked through by the viscous fan when running slow or if the rad is getting hot. Whilst it needs to be cooled it doesn't need to be cold as I believe the ATF fluid has an optimum temperature at which it works best, so over cooling won't be good.

If you try to fit it higher near the aircon rad it may actually impede air flow to the main rad, thereby causing overheating problems for the engine whilst helping the gearbox. It certainly works OK in mine as I've no problems now although I have fitted a second temp guage to keep an eye on the cooling in warmer weather.

Mike G
    Mike G

Comment

I fitted Jez's on the other side to the electric fan, but this was a 2.4 with an underneath aircon rad.

I'm fitting one next week to a 3.0 in front of the air-con, and will take some pics and see how it goes.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'm no expert but I would have thought that the cooler could go no higher than the dipstick oil level as if it were placed any higher surely the oil would drain back into the transmission when not driving making it impossible to get the level correct.
        I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

take a look at mine here -
          http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/oilcooler.htm
          might help you out a bit...

I cant believe my luck on the fit of the cooler and just squeezes in the bumper lower valance (where the cutouts are). Might get some more updated pics.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
            I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
            It doen't matter, you only check the level when its running and oil is being pumped everywhere you need it to be.

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm still looking for an answer here. First a transmission cooler mounted low an away from the viscous fan would probably ineffective at low speeds when the transmission is climbing or pullng a heavy load. Secondly, these cars with manual trannys don't have overheating problems. The key to keeping the engine cool is keeping the tranny oil cool. All websites I have seen that sell tranny coolers say they are 100% effective when placed in front where it receives cooling help from the viscous fan.

All I've seen are mounted low toward the bottom of the radiator above the steel plate guard. I think it would probably work at high speeds, but I'm not sure about going up hills.

Again does anybody know of any who has mounted the cooler up higher where it feels the effects of the viscous fan? I still haven't seen anybody do it. Maybe i'll try it if it fits and submit the picks.

Comment

Mitch

The reason most mount low down is the need to have a secure mounting for the cooler. You can't have it vibrating all over the place as that could cause leaks or chaffing on the flexible pipes or the fairly thin walled tubing in the cooler.

Mounting higher will also need longer and stiffer brackets as there are less existing holes to bolt the mounting brackets to higher up near the top of the rad, but plenty down on the front crossmember, also you would probably be forcing the ATF fluid higher than it would normally go in the gearbox / torque converter.

If you can find sufficiently strong mounting points then go ahead and try mounting the unit higher but you might not get the results you are seeking. At least the lower mounting does work.
                Mike G

Comment

Tallyman,

Thank for this most recent input. Your comments are what I'm looking for. I probably will take a look at mounting it higher, but I'm concerned about the space and the possibility of chaffing as you mentioned. I hadn't thought about the cooler in relation to the torque convertor so I'll have to think all this through. I still think it would cool more effeciently if it was closer to the viscous fan. The lower mounting point would definitely be easier! Have you had any overheating problems since you installed yours?

Comment

Hi Mitch,

No, no problems since fitting the cooler, even towing the caravan on hot days, although I'll have a better idea of any temperature increase next year (caravan put to bed for the winter) now I'l got the second temp guage fitted.

Be interested to see how you get on.

Mike G
                    Mike G

Comment

tranny cooling?

well i dont know much about auto trannys. how do you know your trannys overheatin? my surf has no temp gauge that i can see.
                      i do know that mounting it at the front low down will do just fine you just need to make sure you mount it on somthing strong as rads osolate and will soon snap a flimsy bit o tin and its defo ok to mount it low if you dont trust me get you mate to drive your truck at 15mph an stick your head out the window an see ow windy that is.
                      question when overtakin with lots o revs as in kickdown mode and it dont seem to go as quick as you think is that becaus its overheatin? if so then i 2 need a rad but am not sure about all that anulas sun n planet thingy gollygone

Comment

here's where I fitted Ashleys. I got the thinnest one available so it doesn't interfer with air flow through the air-con and main rad. If its a 2.4 with a underneath air-con rad, I'd get a thicker, not so wide one like I fitted to Jez. I had to trim the slam panel and bonnet latch bracket a little to tuck it up as high as poss, but it fits sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by golly
                          well i dont know much about auto trannys. how do you know your trannys overheatin? my surf has no temp gauge that i can see.
                          You have a AFT temp light, but the issue is not really the AFT temp, in a 3.0, if your towing stupid heavy trailers up hills, the AFT cooler in the bottem of the rad get very hot, and as the ATF get hotter, it heats the engine coolant. as the cooler is in the bottem of the rad, the now to hot engine coolant goes back into the motor, causing the engine temp to rise. So precool the AFT, then send it through the orginal rad cooler and your golden! You can ditch the orginal rad and fit a manual gearbox one if your really paranoid, as the B&M coolers I fit are rated to cool a small block Chevy slushbox on there own. But i don't think its really nessesary. Plus its possible to overcool the AFT fluid, putting it back in the rad will ensure the fluid comes out at whatever temp Mr Toyota designed the box to run at.

Comment

Tony,

Thanks for the pic. You are the first one I've seen that has mounted it higher. I have a 94. 3.0, so I'm not sure if mine will fit like yours, but it is worth a try.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ruaha
                              Tony,

Thanks for the pic. You are the first one I've seen that has mounted it higher. I have a 94. 3.0, so I'm not sure if mine will fit like yours, but it is worth a try.

Mitch
                              That pic is on a 94 3.0

A narrower, thicker one will fit easier, but I was after least resistance possible through the other two rads.

Comment

Working...
                              X