Nearly back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly back from the dead

Can anyone help with what i should be expecting from my recently submerged surf?

I've had the injectors out, cleared the cylinders and didn't find any obvious amounts of water, stuck the injectors back in, refitted everything and fired it up, once I'd bled the air from the fuel lines it started easily enough and ticks over if a little shuddery, actually a lot shuddery and doesn't like throttle. Most of the water is out of the exhaust now.

If everything is OK how long will it need to run before i can expect it to run smoothly or should it be already?

Will these engines run on 3 cylinders? or can i rule that out.

as it runs can i rule out damage to a cylinder or valves?

Feeling lucky already but not out of the woods yet!
    PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Have you changed the oil, and also checked that no water got into the gearbox.

Maybe once it gets hot the engine will dry out more and run better.

Comment

I've got the bit's to change all the fluids but i don't want to change the oil until I'm sure i don't need to remove the filter again. I couldn't get the injectors out without undoing the fuel pipe bracket behind the filter. If i can't find anything thats wrong with it I'll have to change it and hope it calms down .

I remembered how to test the cylinders, I'll loosen the fuel lines in turn and if one doesn't make any difference that cylinder isn't firing anyway. I'm toying with the idea of getting some recon injectors while I'm at this, the one's I've got don't look very recent, or is it worth having them tested?

I'll get back to it tomorrow, freezing fog all day today

Comment

One thing i really need an answer to though is do the injectors need to be in a specific order? i can't imagine they do but it says in the engine manual to keep them in order. I think i put them back the same way....

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT
          One thing i really need an answer to though is do the injectors need to be in a specific order? i can't imagine they do but it says in the engine manual to keep them in order. I think i put them back the same way....
          I think its mostly so they go back in the same place on the sealing washers, and less likely to leak.

Are you sure the air filter is dry, also have you taken all the intake pipes off in case there are pockets of water?
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Tony, thanks for your help, I had the top 2 pipes off the intake ....but i didn't think about the turbo side. It hasn't killed it yet so hopefully if theres some there it's not much more than a seal in the U, until the turbo kicks in..... Many thanks for the pointer I'll check it out tomorrow.

Comment

just to add to your troubles, might the diffs have drunk some?
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                should I check mine>?
                i feel a search for diff oil change coming on pour moi
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

lucky this happened when it needed a service not just after one!

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    belive brake fluid absorbs water too
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                      belive brake fluid absorbs water too
                      the wheels were under for at least 30 minutes.... Do i need to look at the brake fluid?? Bleed some out or change all the fluid?? Don't know how often it want's changing but it's not been done in the 20k i've had her.

Comment

Checked the turbo side of the air intake and it's all bone dry, I've not found any moisture anywhere after the air filter. Found the reason it wasn't firing on all cylinders, like a tw*t I'd not tightened one of the fuel pipes on the pump. Sorted that and she runs fine. I have to think air starvation stalled the engine, it was only ticking over when the front end fell into the hole. Lucky fecker!

Changed the engine oil which looked fine, changed the front diff oil and the oil looked fine but there was a grey gunk on top of the drain plug. Something settling in the diff but I've no idea what that is??!! There was positive pressure in the diff so the breather had jammed closed, i'll be fitting raised breathers before i do any serious mud plugging again.

Anyway she runs! Lot's of sighing with relief going on over Bath way today!

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT
                          the wheels were under for at least 30 minutes.... Do i need to look at the brake fluid?? Bleed some out or change all the fluid?? Don't know how often it want's changing but it's not been done in the 20k i've had her.

seems like you could be ok. I wondered if your resovoir might have gone for a swim too - susspect tony or someone could tell us about brake fluid life, shedule says change after 2 yrs or 40,000 K - is that right????
                          good to hear it's back in the land of the living - but there you go some do say that blue ones are somewhat invincible annnnd rather nice
                          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                            seems like you could be ok. I wondered if your resovoir might have gone for a swim too - susspect tony or someone could tell us about brake fluid life, shedule says change after 2 yrs or 40,000 K - is that right????
                            good to hear it's back in the land of the living - but there you go some do say that blue ones are somewhat invincible annnnd rather nice
                            Brake fluid officially has a shorter life (1-2 years or so) than most people realise, but it'll work for years in most cases so people forget about it, but you sometime notice a big inprovement after changing it. Like other said, it absorbs moisture, with can lead to pistons rusting and seizing.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                            X