No announcement yet.

Changing the oil on a Gen 3 Autobox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished changing the gearbox oil on my Gen 3, simple enough so I thought I would post what I came across.
    Couldn't find Dexron for £7 but local factors did 5 litres for £15 which wasn't too bad.
    Drained about 4 litres from sump then removed bump plate from below the radiator( held on with 7x12mm bolts, there are two hooks at the front and one at the back which keep it supported when all the bolts are removed - nice one Toyota) to disconnect pipes to oil cooler, oil drained form the pipes but there didn't appear to be any in the cooler itself, I even blew through it to make sure ????? I am hoping that bit was normal.
    I was just about to start refilling when I noticed that the gearbox sump slopes forward so would still contain oil as the drain is at the back, so jacked front up and got another half litre out. So a total of 41/2 litres came out, oil didn't smell even slightly burnt which was good news, the colour was very dark but I don't think it started life as red!! more likely yellow which I believe from other threads could be Citroen.
    Anyway, as per other gearbox threads I proceeded to pour oil everywhere bar the dipstick hole, in the end I used a very long flexible funnel, put oil in a measuring jug and very slowly poured it in, after adding 41/2 litres I took it for a run to distribute it around the gearbox and then checked the level with the engine running and found it to be low, I added the last half litre and it measured exactly in the middle of the hot marks so well pleased with that.
    The oil on the dipstick is very clean, will check again after a few miles but at the moment there seems to be very little contamination with old oil.

Hope this helps someone.

Keith

Comment

Working...
    X