Ect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECT? Really?

Turning an ECT off? That sounds plain wrong. You can't turn the ECT off, because if you do, your car won't shift gears.

The ECT is the Electronically Controlled Transmission. In case of the Hilux/Surf/Prado, with the 4 speed A340E/F A/T tranny, the ECT controls the up-shifts from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. The others decisions are hydraullicly controlled, like the non-ECT trannys.

If the ECT is unplugged (I think thats the only way to turn it "off), your car will remain in 3rd gear when in D, and you'll be able to manually shift gears. If the ECT or some solonoid malfunctioned, the vehicle will remain in a particular gear, depending on what part has malfunctioned.

Possibly the on/off button you're talking about is the power/economy button, which in some cars (depending on region) are labelled differently as ECT. The normal position is economy (or off) where it doesn't do anything, and in the on position (power, etc.) the ECT selects a differnent shift pattern where you stay in each gear longer for harder acceleration/power/et al.

In some regions there is a third shift pattern you can select for driving in snow. However, the power/economy button is redundant in the more recent cars (i don't know which years) as the ECT and ECU (both engine and tranny control) have multiple shift patterns (3-10) that they automatcially select depending on driving inputs.

I might be wrong though, this is my first post on this site!

Anyhow, I'm looking for help setting up my ECT wiring for a 2LTE engine -- I need the ECT pinouts or diagram!
    [B]Offroad Pakistan at [URL=http://offroadpakistan.com]offroadpakistan.com[/URL], by the 4x4 Offroaders Club Karachi.[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by abidomar
      Possibly the on/off button you're talking about is the power/economy button, which in some cars (depending on region) are labelled differently as ECT.
      This is exactly what they are talking about - basically acts like a "sports mode" button....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Ect

The ECT button, when operated, raises the speed at which the gears change in order to give more acceleration. or to put it another way, it will hold onto the lower gears for longer. The gears will still change but at a higher road speed.
        The downside is if you use the ECT button a lot you will use a bit more fuel.

Silversurfer
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Ect

Hi abidomar,

Saw in your post on ECT that you need some info on auto box. I have a useful guide on Toyota Auto-Transmissions that I can Email to you. It is too big to post on the Forum (approx 570kb).

If you give me your Email address I will send it to you.

Regards

Silversurfer

Comment

ECT Working......... or not ?

Hello Chaps & Chapesses, if the ECT appears not to be working what is the likeliest cause, the switch, or something far more testicle. I don't have a light on the dash when I put it in the POWER position, is this relevant or not ?

Cheers

Wack

Comment

wack it maybe that the light at the back of the warning on dash has blown, get on a long straight road and do a steady 40mph the o/d wont come into effect until around 55ish so just forget about that... when your at your 40 ish press the ect button to activate the sports mode, you should notice an increase in revs and also the box may kick down a gear, when you do this remember to NOT increase revs with the throttle keep it steady, if you feel or hear nothing then it may be something as simple as a faulty switch.
              if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

4wd

I have just got a ssr-x 2.4 TD, on the 4wd lever what does H mean, would it show on dash board if i was in 4wd and how do i know whether it is not.?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyk
                  I have just got a ssr-x 2.4 TD, on the 4wd lever what does H mean, would it show on dash board if i was in 4wd and how do i know whether it is not.?
                  H means high range which is for normal driving, and if it was in 4wd you will get a light on the dash.

Comment

Ect

My ECT seems to do nada since i bought her,no prompts on the display either any suggestions
                    Originally posted by lucky
                    ECT is Electronically controlled transmission. Basically with it on it holds the gearbox in gear for longer and allows the engine to rev more with the associated drop in fuel economy but better power. Actually shows up as ECT Power in the dash when pressed in.

Cheers

Comment

I recently noticed some creamy looking staining on hoses around the right hand side of the engine compartment any help please
                      Last edited by Surf Smurf; 24 March 2005, 05:33.

Comment

Cheers Oily
                        Last edited by oily; 7 May 2005, 13:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
                          Hi abidomar,

Saw in your post on ECT that you need some info on auto box. I have a useful guide on Toyota Auto-Transmissions that I can Email to you. It is too big to post on the Forum (approx 570kb).

If you give me your Email address I will send it to you.

Regards

Silversurfer
                          Hi silversurfer, I am new to all this buddy, just picked mine up yesterday with no manuals or books to guide me, would you be so kind as to post those details mate to devonblue@btinternet.com, thanks
                          Time flies like a bullet,fruit flies like a banana

Comment

ECT...it works!

I have had my surf for a while, and never bothered with the ECT button. Its a 3.0 and breezes up hills no bother even with the overdrive on.

However, when on a touring holiday along the south coast a month ago I started the ascent of that big hill above Chesil Beach and I had a Pajero behind me. The Surf was getting into slow-mo so I switched the OD off, still no difference, so I then remembered the ECT button.

It was like someone had bolted a couple of extra cylinders onto the engine, the thing just kicked its heels and belted up the hill like it wasn't there! The Paj was left miles behind.

I went up to the Lake District last week, and did the Hardnott Pass both ways, I did the same there and breezed up those incredibly steep inclines without any problems at all.

I love that ECT button, I just wish it was somewhere more handy. I am thinking of swapping it for the fog light switch on the centre console, or mounting it in the dash somewhere. Has anyone else done this?

I managed to clock up over 1000 miles last week, and that included two journeys from Bristol to Bassenthwaite near Penrith where I was staying. The motorways were all 80-100mph stuff and the Surf just cruised along as happy as you like. Fuel consumption wasn't outrageous either, just keep it at 2k-2.5k revs and it uses the torque to motor on.

I love my Surf!!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Originally posted by devon blue
                              Hi silversurfer, I am new to all this buddy, just picked mine up yesterday with no manuals or books to guide me, would you be so kind as to post those details mate to devonblue@btinternet.com, thanks
                              Check your Email - it has been sent

Comment

Toyota Technical Articles

Some general information on Toyota systems is available at http://offroadpakistan.com/tech/toyo..._articles.html
                                [B]Offroad Pakistan at [URL=http://offroadpakistan.com]offroadpakistan.com[/URL], by the 4x4 Offroaders Club Karachi.[/B]

Comment

Working...
                                X