starter motor as well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor as well

Hello, bought the contacts and plunger from my local toyota dealers and picked them up this morning, printed off the how-to pdf from the link on here and a couple more besides. Jacked up the surf, put it on axle stands nsf wheel off, broke the clips off the rubber flap things as you do. Tried to unscrew the lower bolt wouldn't budge couldn't get near the upper one as the bulkhead was in the way.

1. Surf is a 3.0 TD 1994 L
    2. Do you remove the bolt or the nut i.e. the bit nearer the front or nearer the rear.
    3. How do you access the upper nut???? Is it ok to remove what looks like the AT dipstck and that wiring conduit?
    4. How do you remove the battery cable, the cover flipped down exposing the copper bolt but then I was lost.

Though the guides help they seem to gloss over removing the motor which is doesn't help as it seems pretty awkward for a novice like me.

The upper nut is a sod to get too. You can just about get your fingers in there with a ring spanner.

Heres a little write up when I did mine.Take your time with fieldsy instructions and it should be fine.

Well just spent 3 hours doing the starter motor and the Beast is Alive!..

It was an ar*e of a job though.
    Near Side Wheel Off.
    After spending an eternity unbolting and unfastening the cables to the Starter Motor the thing wouldn't come out which ever way I tried.

First issue was that I had to disconnect the Auto Tranmission Disptick Tube to get some free play to get at the high level bolt/nut at the top and behind the starter [near to the bulk head].

Had to disconnect the Fuel Filter from the bulkhead to make more room to remove the Starter Motor up through the engine bay.

Once out the job to replace the bits was easy, thanks to Fieldsy's instructions

Putting back in was far easier apart from that high level bolt again. Whoever thought of putting the nut/bolt there should be shot....

Connected things back up in reverse order apart from Fuel Filter in case the Starter had to come back out again.
    Connected the Batteries and the Beasty Fired Up!!!
    Last edited by Gizmo; 14 May 2005, 21:21.
    Gaz

Comment

hello thanks for the info, but how do you disconnect the thick power cable with the plastic clipped on cover and is there a gasket between the starter and engine case?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueBay
        hello thanks for the info, but how do you disconnect the thick power cable with the plastic clipped on cover and is there a gasket between the starter and engine case?

cheers
        If its the cable i'm thinking of at the front bottom left hand side...just flip the cover and there should just be a nut that needs undoing and then slide the cable spade off..

Gasket between the starter and engine case ??? not sure of what your trying to do here
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          The upper nut is a sod to get too. You can just about get your fingers in there with a ring spanner.

Heres a little write up when I did mine.Take your time with fieldsy instructions and it should be fine.

Well just spent 3 hours doing the starter motor and the Beast is Alive!..

It was an ar*e of a job though.
          Near Side Wheel Off.
          After spending an eternity unbolting and unfastening the cables to the Starter Motor the thing wouldn't come out which ever way I tried.

First issue was that I had to disconnect the Auto Tranmission Disptick Tube to get some free play to get at the high level bolt/nut at the top and behind the starter [near to the bulk head].

Had to disconnect the Fuel Filter from the bulkhead to make more room to remove the Starter Motor up through the engine bay.

Once out the job to replace the bits was easy, thanks to Fieldsy's instructions

Putting back in was far easier apart from that high level bolt again. Whoever thought of putting the nut/bolt there should be shot....

Connected things back up in reverse order apart from Fuel Filter in case the Starter had to come back out again.
          Connected the Batteries and the Beasty Fired Up!!!
          Its like looking at a mirror!

I had to take the fuel filter and dipstick out too as didn't really feel like removing suspension components! Took bl**dy ages to line up the top bolt when putting it back in, and I have the scratches and bruises up my arms now to prove it!
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Hello
            Replaced the contacts on sunday now starts no probs
            Getting it out was a pig of a job so below is a quick write-up on getting the motor out. No pics 'cos no camera and no details on replacing the contacts as its covered better elsewhere.

Cheers
            BBB

Starter motor repair for the mechanically embarassed:

1. Go to Halfrauds and buy a long handled 17mm C spanner for £5.49 (not cheap but good quality and where else will you get one on a sunny sunday afternoon?).

2. Loosen the front passenger side wheel nuts so that you can get them off when jacked up.

3. Using the Toyota bottle jack and some suitably sized lumps of wood. As I intended on putting a pair of axle stands under each of the A-arm pivots I jacked up under the chassis rail just behind the anti-roll bar bolt with a wide
            peice of wood to spread the load.

4. Place the axle stands under the a-arm pivots with a bit of soft wood inbetween as I had a long peice of wood (old bit of Ikea futon) made sure any excess was at the front of the vehicle thus not restricting access to the bolts.

5. Lower the jack ensuring the wood doesn't shift and the surf sits squarely on the axle stands.

6. Remove the wheel.

7. Carefully prise out the plastic push-fit studs that hold the rubber flaps in the wheel-arch. Only had to remove the flap nearest the back of the arch.

8. Realise that you have in fact snapped ALL the little studs you carefully prised off.

9. The two starter motor bolts are at the back of the starter where it mounts against the gearbox bellouse (may not be the correct name for it) the lower one is visible but the upper one may be hidden behind a dipstick and some wiring conduit. Liberally spray both bolts with wd40/gt85/etc.. There is also a smaller bold that holds the AT fluid dipstick that may need spray.

10. Have a cup of tea whilst penetrating fluid does it's job. It may take a while longer if the bolts are in a bad way i.e. a couple of days of regular spraying.

11. Remove the two bolts (easier said than done!!)
            Lower bolt: Access is greatly improved by removing the dipstick assembly. To remove it unscrew the bolt facing you (12mm I think), unclip the wiring conduit which has a push fit connector. The dipstick can be removed by passing it up through the engine bay. To initially loosen the starter motor bolt I used a long handled torque wrench (17mm head) from underneath the surf it MUST be an axle stands no getting under it on a jack!! Once loosened the nut and bolt will rotate freely so I used a c spanner and standard wrench accessed from the wheel arch.

Upper bolt: This one is an b!*$%rd to get at. The wiring conduit is attached to a holder which is held on by this bolt, fortunately it is also held in by a clip which is a bit awkward. The approach i used was to push the lower clip out using a screw driver and then pushing the upper clip throught the hole at an angle. This provides enough access to the nut but only just. It is very tight so wear thick gloves and use a bit of patience.

12. On the side of the starter motor facing you and toward the front of the vehicle is the power supply feed. This held on by a 17mm nut underneath a plastic cover. Open the cover to expose the nut that fastens to a large copper bolt, access is limited and there is not much of the nut showing to get your spanner round. Undo and remove the supply lead. On top of the starter is a plugged lead that just needs to be unclipped, bit fiddly on mine the clip was on the top of the plug, unplug and remove.

13. Once everything is unclipped and unbolted pull the starter toward the front of the surf to release.

14. Actually getting it out of the engine bay is a swine. I unbolted the fuel filter, numerous clips holding hoses in place and had to unbolt a hose holder next to the oil filter. Careful not to pull any hoses off mind.

15. Pull the starter up out of the engine bay, it will need twisting and turning and being careful not to snag the bolts on the fuel lines. Lots of swearing helps.

16. Rplace the contacts and don't loose the ball bearing under the plunger spring.

17. Getting it back in is a bit easier as you are not fighting gravity. Dont forget to wipe the AT dispstick before you re-fit it.
            Last edited by BigBlueBay; 18 May 2005, 23:06.

Comment

I found this thread really useful for doing my starter motor today. Only thing I'd add is disconnect the batteries before you get going. Thanks BBB.

Pig of a job. Everything went wrong that could and it took an age, but 'tis done and it now starts a treat : )

Beer time.

Comment

Working...
              X