Starter Motor Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor Problems

I have a 3.0 Tdi SSR-X which, every so often, I have a problem starting - I turn the Key and all that happens is an audible Click, after a couple of more attempts it then starts - obviously this is related to the Starter Motor. it's not every day - usually just when you're in a Hurry!! Has anyone else experienced this Problem? and if so, what was the Diagnosis and Remedy? Cheers!
    Better to be in Cumulonimbus than Cumulogranite

Originally posted by 9belo0
    I have a 3.0 Tdi SSR-X which, every so often, I have a problem starting - I turn the Key and all that happens is an audible Click, after a couple of more attempts it then starts - obviously this is related to the Starter Motor. it's not every day - usually just when you're in a Hurry!! Has anyone else experienced this Problem? and if so, what was the Diagnosis and Remedy? Cheers!
    Try a search, this is most likely the starter contacts are burning out, the p/n's and how to change em have been posted a few times before.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks for tha Morr, had a look around the site and founds lots of useful Info with regards to Starter Motor Problem. However, do you have to go to a Toyota Dealer for the replacement kits? I see that Rough Trax do a 3.0 Starter Motor Repair Kit for £19.90 (£33.07 inc p/p), as well as a Starter Motor Bush Ring for £45.00 (£85.95 for both inc p/p) - are these prices comparable with a Toyota Dealer? and would the Repair Kit cover the burnt out Contacts?

Comment

Thanks for tha Morr, had a look around the site and founds lots of useful Info with regards to Starter Motor Problem. However, do you have to go to a Toyota Dealer for the replacement kits? I see that Rough Trax do a 3.0 Starter Motor Repair Kit for £19.90 (£33.07 inc p/p), as well as a Starter Motor Bush Ring for £45.00 (£85.95 for both inc p/p) - are these prices comparable with a Toyota Dealer? and would the Repair Kit cover the burnt out Contacts?
        I've never had to do this job myself, so I'm not certain as to the best source, I know some of the prior posts did quote prices from Toyota, and as I recall they were fairly reasonable. If you can't find enough info on the prior posts, I'm sure some of the others that have actually done this will chip in with some info.
        Also as the p/n's have been quoted, you could always ring toyota and get a price.
        Maurice

Comment

I did the job about 6 months ago and from memory Toyota charged about £75 for all those bits, will look for the invoice.

Comment

T28226-54320 Starter Kit £5.78
            T28226-54220 Starter Kit £9.39
            T28235-17030 Plunger Switch £14.92

All plus vat, This is for the KZN185.

I was wrong on the total price in the last post as I did buy other parts with it.

Comment

Click here for the Start Kit and pricing. I purchased from Toyota using chassis details

KNZ130

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...5&postcount=10

For other Technical-Mechanical info look at the thread below

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62
              Last edited by Gizmo; 14 April 2005, 21:30.
              Gaz

Comment

Hi chaps

I've had a similar problem to this this morning. Turn the key and just a click sound. The RAC came out and said the starter was shot. Do you think this is the case or is it just the starter contacts burnt out?

EDIT: Ive just noticed another thread on here talking about the kit to fix this from 'ROUGH TRAX' but the link to that site is dead - anyone know if they are still about?
                Last edited by Fox; 13 May 2005, 11:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Fox
                  Hi chaps

I've had a similar problem to this this morning. Turn the key and just a click sound. The RAC came out and said the starter was shot. Do you think this is the case or is it just the starter contacts burnt out?

EDIT: Ive just noticed another thread on here talking about the kit to fix this from 'ROUGH TRAX' but the link to that site is dead - anyone know if they are still about?
                  Try www.toyotasurf.com
                  Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Fox
                    Hi chaps

Almost certainly just the contacts. I did the job a while ago and it's quite easy. Hardest thing is getting the motor out of the engine bay.

use the link above for part no's (I used The Toyota parts) or get the roughtrax kit
                    http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php...5&category=152

Fieldsy did a very good write up on PDF format but it's too large to attach. drop me an e-mail addy and i'll send it on.
                    mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Write-up

heres the link to the write-up
                      http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/sur...eplacements.pdf
                      Gaz

Comment

[QUOTE=andy]T28226-54320 Starter Kit £5.78
                        T28226-54220 Starter Kit £9.39
                        T28235-17030 Plunger Switch £14.92

All plus vat, This is for the KZN185.

I would agree with andy thats about what i paid and they posted them tome free from toyota

Comment

I ordered the required parts at my local Toyota Dealer over the phone 3 days ago. There are now in and I'm on my way to pick them up today. The cost is as follows (including VAT):

28226-54320 £8.18
                          28226-54220 £8.18
                          28235-17030 £16.59

Total Cost is £32.95 - Funny how all dealers seem to charge a little differently!

Comment

I did this job last weekend and after the hassle of getting the starter out (its the size and weight of a small engine!) the job is a doddle. I got the bits from roughtrax and followed a tutorial I found on the site. I did only buy the contact kits (from roughtrax) but would recommend you buy the plunger as well. One of my contacts was almost gone, but I got away with spinning the plunger in a drill and running a file over it until it was clean and smooth. Starts like a good 'un now, and the starter spins a lot faster!
                            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                              I did this job last weekend and after the hassle of getting the starter out (its the size and weight of a small engine!) the job is a doddle. I got the bits from roughtrax and followed a tutorial I found on the site. I did only buy the contact kits (from roughtrax) but would recommend you buy the plunger as well. One of my contacts was almost gone, but I got away with spinning the plunger in a drill and running a file over it until it was clean and smooth. Starts like a good 'un now, and the starter spins a lot faster!
                              Oh, and wouldn't bother with bits for the starter motor itself. Just do the solenoid contacts, I bet you a banana that will sort it out!
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X