Alternator charging issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator charging issues?

Hi guys, i have a 1996/97 Toyota Hilux surf gen3 with the 3.0l kzn185 intercooled engine it also has twin batteries.
    My question is when the engine is running i presume there should be a voltage of around 13.5 volts going to the batteries like most cars. or have toyota got some sort of weird regulation going on?

Just trying to work out if my alternator is fooked.

Battery resting voltage (engine off) is around 11.6 to 12 volts So a little low but tring to work out of thats because of the alternator.
    When running the battery voltage is around 12.5 to 12,7 volts but does not increase with rpm.

Also is it worth getting the 140amp upgrade alternator that is for sale on ebay or just stick with the 70amp from roughtrax.

Hi there Buddy, FYI,The charging rate should read no less than 13.8v n no more than 14.2v it sounds like ya battery / ies maybe past their best.
    With twin batteries it's best to renew em in pairs.
    I would suggest getting the batteries checked (seperately) also get the charge rate checked by a Vehicle sparky n by elimination ya should have the answer to ya problem .. Good Luck

18+ Years of Surfs n 10 years later me KZN 130 Spotless it wasn't but Faultless to a "T" it was, expired in March 2018....
    My other replacement Truck is now also faultless to a "T" :-) all attention on me HDJ80 now..
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

To check your batteries you can get a battery tester off Ebay for about a tenner

Search for CCA tester
      Thanks
      Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

Comment

Check your alternator
        Don’t buy new, there’s a place by me that fixes alternators and put 12 month warranty on too.
        Only cost me £40 instead of the £200 odd for a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds exactly like mine! The alternator was only giving out about 12.4 volts, slugish starting etc, batteries were almost new genuine Toyota ones too.
          I got the alternator rebuilt and it's been fine since. One note though is that it charges at 13.4 to 13.8 volts on both the voltmeter fitted and on my multimeter. Higher when it's been sat for a while but never over 14 volts.

Comment

Working...
          X