Squeaking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaking!

I can hear a loud squeaking coming from behind the right front wheel (no, not a mouse). I can hear it when I am driving along, it's worse over the bumps, and also when bouncing the Surf when it is stationary. I have tried WD40 on various moving parts with no luck.

I noticed that there is a black doughnut type rubber part on both the left and right (see photo) and that when I prod the one on the "squeaking side" I can hear air coming out, but that this doesn't happen on the one on the other side. Could this be the cause of the problem? Oil or something may have leaked out? If so, how easy/cheap is it to fix?

Thanks!

squeaking - photo

Here's the photo I forgot to attach!
    Attached Files

Comment

Squeaking

Its a bottom ball joint - it's probably dried out and needs replacing. I think the original Toyota ones are "sealed for life" but I believe the replacements from Milners are fitted with grease nipples. £15 +vat+p7p from Milners
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Silversurfer; 26 March 2005, 00:50.
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
        Its a bottom ball joint - it's probably dried out and needs replacing. I think the original Toyota ones are "sealed for life" but I believe the replacements from Milners are fitted with grease nipples. £15 +vat+p7p from Milners
        On my balljoints there is a grease nipple though you can only see them if the wheels are full lock. Turn the wheels hard over and pump some moly (grey) grease in the nipples (if you've got 'em). Chances are they could be shot if it's been going on a while.

Every Surf owner should have a grease gun- it's my favourite acessory!

Nevillef

Comment

Squeaking

Thanks for the helpful info and diagrams. Gradually building up knowledge about all things Surf related thanks to this forum!

Comment

Working...
          X