Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my tapping noise

Well s**t.

Took the head off yesterday having taken the rocker cover and camshaft off and found one of the valves sitting higher than the rest.

Well it's a bit worse than just a tappet shim.

So I now am going to be ordering for the second time a new head

+++

New number 2 piston

Got to strip off the aircon rad and the sump, undo the con rod and push the piston out the top, replace it, refit it, then the new head.

So just a word of warning.

Don't drive the car even a few miles with serious tappet noise - you will stress fracture a valve which will then bang about inside the engine and trash the head and the pistons.

Luckily it didn't damage the bore at all.

Someone will have a great engine when I've finished though ther amount I've spent on it.

Cheers

Ouch
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      Ouch
      Definately ouch - won't make the mistake of driving a motor with that sort of noise again. Especially painful as I only replaced the head 15 months ago.

Still I'm getting loads of practice fitting them now. Managed to remove the head in 3 hours yesterday, didn't even have to remove the turbo this time as I worked out how to get it apart just undoing the inlet and exhaust manifold bolts, the head bolts and then lift it out.

It will be interesting to see how easy it is to get the sump off now.

Cheers

Comment

I do feel for ya mate....

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
          I do feel for ya mate....
          You know what they say .... S**T happens.

Just ordered the parts - new head, new piston and rings, head gasket set and timing belt (3rd new timing belt now since I've had the car).

Should all arrive tomorrow so I can start rebuilding it.

Hope the sun shines.

Cheers

Comment

It's all these things that do worry me, and have been looking around for a land cruiser, not any luck as yet, I have had mine 15 months and it has been a very reliable car, all I have changed is the tyres the front pads and the batteries, up until last week when the head went, so have changed that for a brand new head from UK cylinder heads, all running really well and goes sooooo much better now, I know it should run trouble free now, but have decided to change it for the land cruiser, so if anyone is interested in my surf up for sale, if anyone wants any pics, just ask.

Comment

Well it's all back together and running well, sounds really sweet.

Put it back together, disconnected the fuel shutoff and turned it over a few times, got some oil pressure, reconnected the fuel shutoff, turned it over started first turn.

Lot more diesel knock on tickover (like it should be) but absolutely no knock on reving or the overrun. Sounds like the new injectors have worked a treat.

Glad it's done now. Worst job was putting the diff back in, it's damn heavy when there is no space and you can't get the jack under it until you got it half way in position. Still it's fixed and I'm happy.

Think I might have a few airlocks to get rid of but that's a job for tomorrow.

Cheers

Comment

Knock

Hi Andy.... I changed my head a few weeks ago and on stating it does have more diesel knock than before, and I was concerned that it was not right, 300 miles later, it's still got the diesel knock when cold, but it does quieten down when warm, it still has a louder knock when hot on tick over but instantly goes when revved, do you think it should be ok?

Comment

Did you grind the valves in ??? did you also check valve clearance at the cam.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

tapping

No... did not check all them things, I assummed they would be ok, as I had purchased the new toyota head from UK cyl heads with all the valves and cam in the head.

Comment

It was just a thought
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

noisy

It just seems more noisy on tick over, as soon as you push the button that makes it rev to 1500 rpm the knocking goes, I hope it's ok, was out in the surf today after being standing for 10 days, it started first turn of the starter and seems fine and more powerful with the new head, just got to sell it now as I have a land cruiser, mind you, the surf seems f_ _ _ ing good on fuel compared to the the 4.5 petrol L/C LOL

Comment

Mine has more diesel knock when cold and that is as it should be. Means the timing is spot on. Diesels should knock, if they don't the timing is too far retarded. As you rev the timing is normally advanced on a petrol engine so they generally run retarded at idle, that isn't the case on a diesel. They run advanced at idle and then advance less (only fuel pump timing is advanced by the ECU) as they rev which is why they get quieter when revved. Basically as long as it doesn't knock when revved then the engine is spot on.

Mine (apart from the exhaust blow) is as quiet as anything now when revved. and runs and pulls really clean and powerful, even getting better fuel mileage since the new injectors. Sounds like a taxi on tick over though.

Cheers

Comment

Knock

I am glad to hear that the knock on tick over is a good sign, I think that the cam belt on mine was quite stretched and it was giving just a slight degree out on the fuel pump, as it did notice the pump timing was very slightly back from it's original possition, not a whole tooth, but about 2 mm.
                            Mine also has more power and better on fuel, and it's good to here you have yours sorted out now.
                            I did end up buying the land cruiser and have worked on it more than driving it!!! have got one side of the steering in bits, the lower steering arm that bolts to the bottom of the steering knuckle, two bolts had sheared off! quite dangerous situation if I had not had noticed a question on the USA land cruiser forum. http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.p...light=birfield really good site and the guys are as good and freindly as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
                              I am glad to hear that the knock on tick over is a good sign, I think that the cam belt on mine was quite stretched and it was giving just a slight degree out on the fuel pump, as it did notice the pump timing was very slightly back from it's original possition, not a whole tooth, but about 2 mm.
                              Mine also has more power and better on fuel, and it's good to here you have yours sorted out now.
                              I did end up buying the land cruiser and have worked on it more than driving it!!! have got one side of the steering in bits, the lower steering arm that bolts to the bottom of the steering knuckle, two bolts had sheared off! quite dangerous situation if I had not had noticed a question on the USA land cruiser forum. http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.p...light=birfield really good site and the guys are as good and freindly as this one.
                              Yep I'm registered on there too. Seems like the Birfields are the LC weak point, there seem to be quite a few modified Birfields or Birfield eliminator modifications going around.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X