Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Ash Oils for Jap Engines

Hi All
    I was interested to read in a posting that the Jap engines are designed to run on low ash oils. Les ( MTpockets} in Australia recomends Castrol J Max.
    Is this on sale in UK, or is there any oil of same spec.
    Grateful for any info on benefits ect. Never heard of low ash oil.

Cheers Ron

Hi Again
    It seems that Les is right Japanese oil is different. They use a high calcium based detergent in their oils . America and UK use a lot of Magnesium based detergent which is not suitable for the high oil operating temp of the jap engines
    Castrol Jmax is designed for japanese engines apparently.
    Shell make a similar oil but I have not found out the name yet

Got this info from a lubricant research site, they were looking into main bearing failure on imported Landcruisers

Keep you posted Ron

Comment

More Info

This lubrication research chemist recons that Japanese engines need an oil with low or no magnesium 3000+ p.p.m of calcium based detergent

Oils that meet this spec are
      Caltex Delo CXJ ( J stands for Japanese )
      Castrol J-Max 15w 40 mineral
      Amsoil Marine Oil 15w 40 Synthetic
      Amsoil Series 3000 15w 40 Synthetic

It was BP not Shell that do th UK oil it's Vanellus C4 Global, It meets JASO spec
      and it's made for Japanese naturally aspirated and turbo charged diesel engines in 4 wheel drives and light commercials,
      I've not seen it anywhere I'll have to ring round and see who stocks it.

Ron

Comment

Low ash oils

Hi Ron,
        I saw your thread about low ash oils,(Vanellus C4 Global),was very interested.
        I done a search and I found this; www.bpmarine.com/default.asp?p=286&id=67

I read that they can supply the oil in 20 litre drums. I'll email them for a price and supply details, that is if you have'nt found out before me.
        Cheerz, Vince.

Comment

Hi Vince
          Yes It is interesting , Just aquired my surf just over 3 weeks ago, so trying to learn as much as I can. never had a diesel befor either , so I've got a lot to learn. This chemist guy recons the UK and American oils etch the hardened surface off the japanese bearings causing premature wear, the high calcium oils help prevent this. Next change Ill go for one of the recomended oils like Vanellus.

Good Surfiing ...Ron

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Hi Ron,
            I saw your thread about low ash oils,(Vanellus C4 Global),was very interested.
            I done a search and I found this; www.bpmarine.com/default.asp?p=286&id=67

I read that they can supply the oil in 20 litre drums. I'll email them for a price and supply details, that is if you have'nt found out before me.
            Cheerz, Vince.
            Any joy in finding out the price. I'm very interested it getting some as well.

Spent too much on the beastie already, and wouldn't want to harm her for the sake of putting in the wrong oil.

I'll try some of my trade papers tomorrow at work, might turn something up.
            I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Hi Jonah
              I feel the same way . I'll run a few searches, and keep you posted

Ron

Comment

wish id never seen this thread!! - got £30 quid worth of millers semi synthetic oil for diesels in the basement waiting to go in. looked at your bpmarine thread - most of the 'science bit' (and im not blonde!) means nowt but i did spot in the codes a VW oil spec that it meets - when i bought my millers oil they did 2 versions of the same oil - one especially for vw/audi diesels - one for the rest. just wondering if vw rated diesel oil will meet the same low ash requirements. gonna take a look ath the spec of the vw oil on www.millersoils.co.uk to see if the numbers match with your bpmarine stuff

seeing as i asssume that this is the first uk service my surf has had (imported in march but im owner 2over here - he got the sur as a stop gap before getting a l200 that he now hates compared to the surf - long story but he wished hed never sold it to me!!!) - it would be a good opportunity to compare in the long term with other surfs that have been serviced on european spec oils.

must admit i thought it was probably just a panic over nothing - i mean if you change regularly enough u wouldnt expect too many problems - then i remembered all the brass parts 'disintegrating' in my landy gearbox as they dont like modern api gl4/5/hypoid gear oils - the cleaning additives are too severe for the brass and eat your synchro rings etc!! So - you could be onto something!

take care

Chris

Comment

http://www.millersoils.net/M3_cgi/millers.cgi?name=XFE 10w40

meets the same VAG 505.00 spec

if that means anything -

Chris

Comment

The BP Vanellus C4 Global spec:

www.bp.co.nz/business/top/vanellus_c4global.html

Caltex Delco CXJ spec:

http://www.cbest.chevron.com/generat...PDS7761833.PDF

Amsoil series 3000 & Marine oil specs:

www.pecuniary.com/synthetics/technical.html

Not that it helps me...
                    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Hi All
                      I'm Not sure myself how serious an issue this is, but if the big boys like BP and Castrol spend time and money developing an oil aspecialy for Japanese motors,
                      maybe there is something in it. Maybe we should ask Toyota. bye the way does anyone no what oils Toyota recmend for the Surf ?

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronone
                        Hi All
                        I'm Not sure myself how serious an issue this is, but if the big boys like BP and Castrol spend time and money developing an oil aspecialy for Japanese motors,
                        maybe there is something in it. Maybe we should ask Toyota. bye the way does anyone no what oils Toyota recmend for the Surf ?

Ron
                        It has been said that use of incorrect oil is one of the reasons for premature big end wear on Landcruiser 1HD-T 4.2TD engines.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Andy
                          When you say incorrect oil, does that mean Uk spec oils ?

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronone
                            Hi Andy
                            When you say incorrect oil, does that mean Uk spec oils ?

Ron
                            Actually this was from new Zealand using some other oils but not low ash, low magnesium oils. pretty much the same oils as we get here.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Andy
                              Looks like there might be something in it then Due for a change soon, will defo go for a Jap spec oil.... can,t be too carful . Like most people, I thought any good oil would be alright

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X