Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator electric fan issue

Hi all,
    Went out last night and when we parked up, the electric fan was running. Temp gauge was all ok and plenty of coolant, so thought it was just a bit warm. This morning as soon as I turned the ignition on, the fan started up again, it had been parked all night though so couldn't be warm, went out this afternoon and the electric fan is now running constantly, before I start pulling everything apart to check connections are there any known issues with the electric fan?
    It's a 2nd gen 2.4 auto

Check the fan switch and connection on the water outlet on side of head. The bit that holds the thermostat.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev

Comment

Found it!
        The thin wire that attaches to the plug that goes on to the water sensor has snapped. Just need to find a way to reattach it now, lol.
        Nice easy fix though ( hopefully )

Comment

I think the autos have a different connector than the manuals. You can use a normal spade connector on the manual and maybe the same for the auto.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev, I'll see which design it is when I take the plug off.

Comment

Looks like it's only the 3.0L ones that have a spade connector on the radiator electric fan sensor switch. Of course the wire snapped as close to the plug as possible, making it impossible to reattach it!
              Does anyone have any ideas on how to reconnect the snapped wire or better still another plug with a decent amount of wire still attached?

Comment

Does anyone have a spare plug ( with a couple of inches wire still attached ), to fit the electric fan sensor just under the thermostat housing on a 2.4 TD please?

Comment

Does the plug have any numbers on it?

Nev.

Comment

No Nev, no numbers on it at all. If I can get adding pics to work, it looks like this,

Ignore the little white thing sticking out, it's not supposed to, I was trying to dismantle it to try and rewire it
                    Attached Files

Comment

Another pic
                      Attached Files

Comment

Last pic
                        Attached Files

Comment

Download this PDF.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...22676328,d.dGY

See if you can match it to any of the diagrams there. If you can, it will have a part number. Google that part number. I think all Toyota connectors start with the part number 90980-. Some connectors have the last part of part number on the connectors. Let me know if you find a diagram. I'll have a look tonight.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev, if I'm looking at the right part, I think the number is 90980-11243 housing connector female

Comment

Looks like that one to me. Wide keyway on right, narrow keyway on left, with flat of connector up. Looking for the correct terminal now. The centre part you have pulled out locks the terminal in place. This has to be out to install terminal and wire then pushed in to lock. It will come out completely if you pry it in the correct way.

Here's an example ebay listing for what I think is the correct terminal,wire part.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/82998-124...-/351274821329

I think the part number is for one only and this listing just has multiple parts. As you can see it is terminal, wire and seal.

Perhaps call Toyota and ask if these are available and at what price. Might get a surprise and they will be cheap, or you'll have a heart attack. I am sure you can find these somewhere on the net for a reasonable price. My computer is having a fit right now, as I have multiple windows open trying to search.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
                              X