Surf 2.4 ln130 will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys just a small update!
    I'm in the process of making a tool to remove the spill valve, have removed all items in the area to gain access to the valve in readiness

Will update you soon

Cheers

Paul

Comment

I used a bit of old leather belt and a set of mole grips.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi guys

Time to get some petrol and put an end to this Toyota surf ?

I made up a spanner to fit the spill valve and after a bit of a fight managed to get the valve out ! There was a little bit of crud in the filter at the bottom of the spill valve but wasn't convinced it would cause a problem. I left it soaking in a cocktail of cleaning solutions overnight which got rid of most of it

As for the spill valve it looked OK connected it back up to the wiring and turned the ignition on and off. And it's clicking away on turning the ignition on and off so I would assume it's doing what it should be doing ?

Used the hand primer while the valve was out and it quickly filled the recess where the spill valve would normally sit

Refitted the filter and valve back into the pump and connected everything back together and still no fuel at injector pipes ? Beginning to lose interest now

Help is there anyone out there that can shine a light on this problem in the Bristol uk area please

Many thanks

Paul
        Last edited by AVONANIMAL; 8 October 2015, 16:36.

Comment

Keep going. Youll fet there

Comment

Im convinced its the spill valve btw. Keep going. Perhaps it might be worth taking the pump out

Comment

Hi James Wallace

Thanks for your enthusiasm to keep me going on this project but needs some inspiration to move on, what makes you think it could be the spill valve ! As I said before it seems to being operating but do these valves cause problems even though they appear to be working, I did even flash a 12 volt supply across it just to see if it would make a noise and it did, then connected it back on the car wiring and turned the ignition on and it is making the same noise. but still nothing from the injector pipes ?

many thanks

Paul

Comment

'Seems to be working'

If could be something a miss with the high pressure side. Perhaps take the pump out and see whats what inside.

If you had another pump the simplest short term solution would to put another pump on.

Comment

At the top front of pump is a banjo type fitting. Try bleeding the pump by loosening this a little and cranking engine. Not sure what your problem, is but that's worth a try.

Nev.

Comment

I have been using the return pipe to bleed it from but on saying that I have never bled the system before this trouble even when changing the fuel filter, it would restart after a couple of cranks and bleed itself (when it was running LOL) but open to suggestions and will give it a try anyway.

Was thinking of taking the top of the pump off just to see if everything was turning inside, after seeing a picture of a surf with the main pump shaft snapped inside ?

would be good if I had a spare spill valve or pump to try but I do not have these luxury items

Anyway will have another go tomorrow after I have calmed down

I have also rechecked as much wiring as possible by ripping all the under dash out and checking what I can

many thanks again for your input

Paul

Comment

Come guys don't just sit in the background, this issue has had over six hundred views to date, I bet someone out there knows what is wrong with my Surf, don't be shy just put down what you think could be the problem and I will try it no matter how silly or serious your idea s maybe.

Does anyone have a spare spill valve or fuel pump I could try, remember I'm the one doing all the work here LOL

all comments or suggestions considered

many thanks

Paul

Comment

I have a spill valve if you want to try that.

How long are you cranking itr for?
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi Shokenore

Top man, that would be great if I could try your valve, at least it would rule that out. I've been cranking it over and over until the batteries give up, I'm surprised that the starter motor hasn't given up as well

How do you send a private message on here !

many thanks

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by AVONANIMAL View Post
                            I have been using the return pipe to bleed it from but on saying that I have never bled the system before this trouble even when changing the fuel filter, it would restart after a couple of cranks and bleed itself (when it was running LOL) but open to suggestions and will give it a try anyway.

Was thinking of taking the top of the pump off just to see if everything was turning inside, after seeing a picture of a surf with the main pump shaft snapped inside ?

would be good if I had a spare spill valve or pump to try but I do not have these luxury items

Anyway will have another go tomorrow after I have calmed down

I have also rechecked as much wiring as possible by ripping all the under dash out and checking what I can

many thanks again for your input

Paul

Why are you using the return to bleed it? The return will be full of air

Comment

I will sugges what id be doing..

Take off the fuel line from the pump to the fuel filter, and get another can, and an outboard primer bulb, and feed fuel from a can. This way (if it is still not getting fuel) you can rule out fuel supply to the pump regardless of what you think is up with it. If you get fuel at the injector pipes then most likely tank pick up is blocked. Btw, when was it last cleaned?

Failing that, have you cleaned the small filters inside the pump? There is one under the banjo bolt for the fuel supply. An m6 bolt turned down at the end works wonders for grabbing it out, check that is clean. Moving onwards, there is a temprature sensor on the side of the pump, take the wire off, and using a 22 mm spanner take the whole lot out. You will, unfortunatly drain the fuel pump doing this, but there is another filter there. M8 bolt turned down this time. Access is via the wheel arch for this one..

I am working on a BL engine at the moment with thr same issues. Im confident it is stop valve issues...

By using a can and an outboard primer bulb you can pressurise the fuel to the pump, giving it a helping hand.

If you have had a fuel starvation issue due to blocked pickup / filter you may have destroyed the pump
                              If you where closer id come over
                              Last edited by Jameswallace; 9 October 2015, 23:47.

Comment

Originally posted by AVONANIMAL View Post
                                Hi Shokenore

Top man, that would be great if I could try your valve, at least it would rule that out. I've been cranking it over and over until the batteries give up, I'm surprised that the starter motor hasn't given up as well

How do you send a private message on here !

many thanks

Paul
                                Emither me p e n r y n c h e e k y at g m a I l dot c o m

We can then arrange from there
                                What part of brissel you in ?
                                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X