No announcement yet.

Starting Problems and White Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to say that it is unlikely to be the head gasket.

Roughtrax state a new casting

Roughtrax have dropped their prices to around 460 for the head.
    http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=606

You don't have to use them but as a start I would give them a call, tell them what you need and you never know you may get a discount.

Probably worth looking at all the other bits and bobs worth doing while it is out of commission.
    My list would include
    water pump you have that already
    fuel pump seals top seal can be done in situ but back seal seal is a pump out job and as you have to change the rad and the cam belt will be off to do the head you may as well yes it will add to the cost and time but better now than a couple of months down the line.....
    Front crank seal can weep also well worth doing.

Yes it sucks but the other option is to scrap it or option C and there is always an option C go large and stick a V8 in it.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your issue, this time last year I was in the middle of exactly the same thing, I replaced the head on mine myself with copious amounts of help from various people on here.
      Sorry to repeat others but it's never the gasket, it's always the head. I got my new head from roughtrax and timing belt with all the pulleys and tensioner, etc. I so wanted to swap to a V8 but couldn't afford it at the time so stuck with rebuilding the 2.4.
      Regarding the K-Seal stuff, it's crap, it'll only make things worse when you least need it, mine had been filled with it by a previous owner, worst thing ever. While you've got the engine apart, think of changing the glow plugs and injectors as well, worth getting it all done now and use Toyota red ready mixed coolant when it goes back together.
      I have my whole rebuild posted elsewhere on the forum, have a read through it and see how it went

Comment

OK now I have a decision to make!

Shokenor - do you know the rough cost for changing to a V8 and how difficult is it - lots of mods required or fairly simple and is it a lot more expensive to run?

Found another head for £408 ready built, so I'll keep looking in case I go that way - more probable.

RebelV8 - have you got a link for your rebuild please.

Woodwarm - I've probably been hit with a repaired head - is there any way to check - not that I can do much about it now.

All - anything else I should look at whilst I'm in there - some of the pipes look to be corroding and the exhaust is shot (about 3 or 4 holes in the different sections) so that'll be replaced too - Already got new glow plugs, just forgot to say.

I'm on night shift until Monday morning so my time is limited - but I'll keep popping back when I can.

All information/links on either of the options (I'm not scrapping her) would be most appreciated.
        Many Thanks again everyone

Comment

Once my 3rd gen is off the ramp, and you can get it here, you are more than welcome to use my workshop with the lift if you want. I'm only about 20 mins south of Rugby.
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Thanks MudSurfer but I have a pit in my own garage - thanks to the previous owner.
            I I need a ramp though I'll be in touch.

One final question - how do we know for sure it's the head and not the block?
            Thanks again
            Griff

Comment

There has been users on here after replacing head, found damage to block.

Quite a rare occurrence but.

V8 route £3500 to £5000 very approx.

Lot cheaper if you do the work. Need to search & do your homework .

Comment

OK thanks Woodwarm - think I'll stick with the 2.4 replacement bits

Comment

Originally posted by Griff687 View Post
                  One final question - how do we know for sure it's the head and not the block?
                  Thanks again
                  Griff
                  If ya Tech's any good ask him to do a sniff Test ....
                  You'll have ya definitive answer soon enough !!

13+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

My rebuild is spread over a few different areas of the site, just click on my name and then click on statistics, all threads started by me, click on all the ones to do with engine removal and rebuild and any titled help with etc.

Sorry I can't post any links, I'm using a phone for access at the moment

Comment

Thanks RebelV8 - I'll check into them if I start the project.
                      I have come across and engine rebuilder "Exchange Engines" and wondered if anyone has had any experience of them.
                      Also, would it be beneficial for me seeing the issue I have - not sure what refacing means when it comes to the cylinder head?

I know they only do the engine and I've other bits to look at too (cooling and exhaust) but having the engine fully refurbed has gotta be good, no?

If anyone could throw any light on them and what they do, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Comment

You need to be very careful ref exchange engines

Sometimes removed from a scrap vehicle,pressure washed etc & sold as
                        recon.

Do your homework, check for satisfied/unsatisfied customers, on line.

Comment

Originally posted by woodwarm View Post
                          You need to be very careful ref exchange engines

Sometimes removed from a scrap vehicle,pressure washed etc & sold as
                          recon.

Do your homework, check for satisfied/unsatisfied customers, on line.
                          +1
                          Very dodgy market, find a local rebuild company and get them to do yours...

Comment

I would recommend pulling the head before buying any parts. I have personally seen the top of bores damaged by water ingress due to cracked head. Solution was rebore etc or another engine. If you buy all the bits first you maybe stuck with them if its terminal .
                            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks for the advice woodwarm, andy and vagrant No2.
                              I think the best option is possibly to say goodbye before I've spent up and still got a duffer.
                              I'll have a think on it whilst I'm working this block and then decide.

Might be worth putting the feelers out to see if anyone's got one for sale at a reasonable price (a working model with a sound head) :O)
                              (at least I'll have a few spares I can take of the duffer)

Thanks again everyone :O)

Comment

Working...
                              X