Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problems and White Smoke

Hi everyone,
    1st of all I'm a newbie to Surfs, so bear with me please.
    She's the LN130 2.4L Auto Diesel 1992 2LTE
    Run down of what happened:-
    Driving along and noticed temp gauge had gone into red, so drove about 1/4 mile further where I stopped.
    Got her back home (towed) and replaced knackered water pump and also the alternator, which I thought had a faulty regulator, but maybe not - anyhow it's done now, got 2 new batteries, a new thermostat (stuck open) and replaced 3 of the 4 fan belts (4th one, bottom right was OK).
    Since then it won't start - turns over fine, but just won't fire.
    So, I got a new fuel filter today, but when I was trying to bleed the old one it was only pumping out in a trickle - however when I removed the infeed pipe, it gushed out. So I blew back into the tank and now it primes from the hand pump fine. But it still struggles like mad to start - have to keep the ignition on for about 10-15 seconds 5 or 6 times on the trot and then it will finally start - very laboured though.
    However it's still really struggling to tick over until I press the fast idle switch, then it's a little better until it warms up and then sounds and ticks over fine (after switching off fast idle). But when it is going it's blowing white smoke like buggery, more so if I rev it.
    So now - I prime till the pump goes hard then try and start it and it's still the same struggle - really annoying and I don't know what to try next?
    Any Ideas welcome or even better if you live near Rugby I'd gladly pay you to come and fix it for me :O)
    Oh, it had a Sterling Touch immobilizer fitted, but I cut out the 2 feeds and put the original wires back together - and I still torpedo it.
    Had her since December 2014 and no trouble up to the water pump issue.
    Thanks in advance
    Mark

Hello & welcome Mark

Guess you also replaced cam belt.
    Pump timing ok ??

Don't want to be gloom & doom

Have you tried a search "white smoke" ???

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by woodwarm View Post
      Hello & welcome Mark

Guess you also replaced cam belt.
      Pump timing ok ??

Don't want to be gloom & doom

Have you tried a search "white smoke" ???

Robert
      What he said ^^

Comment

No, I didn't replace the cam belt - it seemed fine.
        Pump timing? sorry not with you on that one.
        Tried searching White smoke, but still none the wiser.
        Anything else?

Comment

Search this site at top of the page.

Lots of info on White Smoke

Check o ring at base of fuel filter, air leak ?

Water bubbles in expansion bottle ?

Remove rad cap when cold,start engine. Any bubbles/frothing ?

Glow plug fuse blown. Any power at buzz bar?

Comment

Thanks woodwarm, I'll check them out tomorrow.
            If it was a head crack, would there not be water in the oil - white residue on the dip stick?
            I'm thinking the worse, but hopefully it's minor :O)

Checked all the fuses and they were OK - I did replace the 80Amp fuse as it looked iffy.
            I'll let you know tomorrow morning what I discover.

Comment

Sorry young man. Almost never water in oil, or signs on cap or dipstick.

Again search cracked head, lots of pics

Fingers crossed

Robert

Comment

If the white "smoke" smells sweet then I would lay money on the head being goosed.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hi again,
                  OK, where I am up to now:-
                  Replaced air filter this morning - old one looked OK until I saw it against the new :P
                  Blocked off the EGR pipe with tin, as described in this link -

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm

Topped up the water - took another 4 1/2 litres after I'd removed one of the heater hoses, so that couldn't of been any good.
                  Tested the buzz bar and after switching on engine (not cranking it) I get 10v then 15.7v and after about 10 seconds it drops down to about 4v (never timed it, so it was probably only 5 seconds).
                  Just waiting for the sealant to dry before cranking and checking for bubbles.

Whilst I was getting the filter, I noticed a leaflet on a product that claims to permanently repair leaks in head gasket, head and block that meets ASTM D3147 (whatever that standard is). It's called K-Seal Ultimate.

Anyone heard of it or even better used it and can tell me it works if I've got a knackered head?
                  Thanks again
                  Griff

Comment

Oh and forgot to say -
                    I've got anosmia so can't smell a thing shokenore - sorry

Comment

Just saying, my opinion

use the "snake oil" might solve problem But it's not a long time solution.

Lots of new owners have major problems/expense after buying a Surf,which had head fault concealed by previous owner .

Just saying

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

4.5 litres is an actual metric $hit tonne of a top up

Sorry
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

So I started her up and 2 things - 1st there is a leak in the radiator on the metal connector where the top hose connects to the thermostat housing - ####ing out at start up and then stops - probably when theres not enough water in there.
                          2nd - air into the reservoir tank - like a jacuzzi and constant :O(

Now my mate came round and said the air from the pipe into the reservoir smelled of exhaust fumes but couldn't/didn't smell sweet smoke from the exhaust (still quite a lot of white smoke).

I tried that stuff I mentioned above but no difference after 2 cold starts and then I ran out of time.

Once she has started (still struggles) and warms up a little, she ticks over perfectly.

So, am I looking at the worst, as in the head?

Go on, sock it to me.

Thanks again
                          Griff

Comment

Most certainly sounds like the head is fubarred
                            Sorry
                            Whether it was the coolant loss or age that caused the failure will be hard to tell either way the immense pressurisation will have probably caused the rad split

Descisions descisions
                            But budget on around 800-1000

600 for the head
                            Better get a cam belt kit 50-100
                            New rad and coolant 150-200
                            Gaskets 70
                            Soon adds up
                            We all feel for you sorrow
                            But once it is done you will be safe in the knowledge your truck is gonna be ok
                            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Thanks again for all the comments - Although I was really hoping it was something else, deep down I knew, but hey ho.

Shokenor - is there a possibility it might just be the head gasket or is it definitely the head itself.
                              Also, is that price for a new one or recon?

Thanks for all your input on this - muchly appreciated.

Griff

Comment

Working...
                              X