2.4LTE power/turbo issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4LTE power/turbo issues?

OK, so beforer we start, yes I've spent a couple of hours searching through the old posts and haven't really found answer's, so here we are, besides if all we did was search through the old posts, we'd never "talk" to each other!!

So the new Surf seems to run reasonably well, however, I have noticed that on steep'ish hills she seems to bog down and then you have to crawl up the other side in 3rd or 2nd gear, it's almost like the turbo switches off! On long gradient it seems to pull well but as I said steeper stuff just kills it. AN example, on a back road, in 3rd gear coming into a tight corner with a steep gradient after the engine just bogged in 3rd, I pulled 2nd and off we went, with the engine revving freely. From memory my old 2.4lt would pull this gradient in 3rd quite happilly.

I have done the ecu diagnostic and the code is 1, for normal.
    The EGR has been blanked off
    I was looking to bypass the turbo high pressure switch but can't find the schematic for the 2.4 LTE or is this a bogus venture, does the efi use a high pressure switch?

The head has been replaced with a 3l and I am wondering if maybe the valve clearance's could be in need of a fettle?

Turbo lights all good and on the flat and low gradients you can hear and feel the turbo kicking in, so I don't think it's that but she just seems to bog down under certain conditions and my old 2.4lt just wasn't like that.

So if anyone out there in Surf land has had a similar issue or has some pointer's for me that would be greatly appreciated, cos I luffs my Surf and want her well! or have I just forgotten how to drive them?? lol
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

hi

not boost switches for the 2lte. uses boost sensor instead. its connected to the manifold via a filter thingy which sometimes gets blocked up by crud and the hoses has a habit of splitting.

maybe your dropping the rpm down to much.
    what sort of rpm do you change down at?

what size tires and diff ratios has it got?
    bigger tires can really make it slow to drive. also surfs came with a few different diff and wheel combo's over the years.

Comment

no idea what the diff ratios are, running 31" AT's
      WHere is the boost sensor located, the layout under the bonnet is waaaay different to my old 2LT so pointer's in that direction would be well helpful.
      I ran across the TPS setup on the OZ site and also the ECU reset so gonna try those two, see if that makes a difference.

WHen I'm changing down I'm on the low side of the turbo spinning up and I wonder if I've just got a bad case of turbo lag as I've also noticed that when changing from 1st into 2nd she bog's down a bit before picking up, typically I'm changing from 1st to 2nd at around 2,000rpm......
      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Pete The Tart View Post
        ntypically I'm changing from 1st to 2nd at around 2,000rpm......
        that says it all !!!
        they are meant to rev. my normal upshift is 3000 rpm. except for takeoff it rarely ever goes under 2000 rpm.

boost sensor is bolted to the side of the aircleaner.

Comment

Yeah but....... I never used to rev me old one like that and it pulled like a train, mind you that was on a fully re-built motor and turbo......but then this one's only done 230k's so ........ dunno, just doesn't feel like it should
          1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

if you previously had a '89 then quite possibly you had a 2lt-1 which is a bit different to the engine you have now.

pay to find someone with a 2lte and compare how it drives on the same roads.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
              if you previously had a '89 then quite possibly you had a 2lt-1 which is a bit different to the engine you have now.

pay to find someone with a 2lte and compare how it drives on the same roads.
              yup, not a bad idea......any takers? lol
              1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

ask on offroad express, theres a few in Whangarei on there.

Comment

done, well I introduced meself first anyway!
                  1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

well having done a bit of research, am going to reset the ECU and then adjust the TPS, see what gives
                    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Well, having put truck back together and did the ECU reset, massive difference in take-off, will report back on hill climbing tomorrow!
                      1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                      X