No announcement yet.

2.4 losing power- oil leak the cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the oil leak tips. I have a look and cant see anything obvious, BUT i have found myself a new mechanic 40km away. So I drove through the forest last night in a snow storm, broke down (10km and red light coming on) so thought, I need try something new. I have a twin tank, so filled the aux tank with diesel and then roared off at 90kph! It still wasn't running perfect, so it has to be fuel related. Maybe a blocked hose from the main tank which was in summer months holding wvo? Or is it possible it has a hole maybe...

Anyway, i'll get the fuel system cleaned... Is it possible to clean the tank without removing it from the surf?

I feel like a chump that I could have problem solved it sooner, but better late than never hey...

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
      It may also be worth checking the initial repair your mechanic carried out, assuming that he tried gluing the turbo inlet hose, the rubber 90' elbow fitting.
      I tried the same.
      It didn't last very long and was back to dribbling oil out again, the material gets brittle after twenty or so years.

A new one cured that leak.
      Super valid point

Comment

Hi James

(It's mike)

I had a similar problem. The truck would motor fine upto 50/60mph but if you put your foot down it would splutter a bit and loose power. However if I switched over to diesel it ran fine. It turned out to be a blockage in the fuel line from the main (veg) tank. I undid the fuel hose at both ends and used compressed air to clean it out. If the weather there is very cold fats could have dropped out from the veg oil and built up along the fuel line.

Comment

Good to hear from you Mike,

Yeah it has turned out that there is a leak in the fuel line hose. Must be pretty small as there is no sign of fuel on the ground as such, but under pressure - it is causing issues. This is what the mechanic has said anyway. He is chnaging the hose so lets see if it helps 100%. I will also get the fuel hoses cleaned as I too suspect they are gunked up from old fats.

I'd be well into checking it myself, but as you know we are currently living in a caravan in the middle of the snow covered forest, so dont really fancy laying in the snow to sort it myself. Would have made a nice summer project for me!

Will let you know how it works out

And thanks!
          Last edited by jim_5elf; 22 March 2014, 09:05.

Comment

Working...
          X