No announcement yet.

Head cracked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question tashtego! I do have a bit of an emotional attachment but it comes down to money really.

The repair will cost me about stg 800 by the time I'm done and dusted. 1000 is the absolute limit of what I could afford and for that I could get a ragged 3.0 trooper (nearly scrap) or something that is actually scrap. There aren't many 2.4's or 3.0's over here and they go for 2-3000 in working order. Almost all have been imported from the uk.

If I were to get a uk car, I would have to pay
    1) purchase,
    2) uk tax to get to the ferry (50 quid?),
    3) ferry (150 - 250),
    4) Irish vehicle registration tax (35% of whatever the revenue decide its worth, so 1000 to 1400 quid tax),
    5) materials to convert to commercial spec,
    6) 100 quid to have it inspected by a dealer,
    7) 50 quid to have it weighed,
    8) 86 quid to have it tested.
    Then it will be legal. After that you do any upgrades.

Why bother with commercial conversion? Commercial vehicle tax is eur 330 per year. For a private vehicle this age it is cc based. the 2.4L is eur 1080 per year and the 3.0L is eur 1494 per year. If you don't need the back seats it's a no-brainer. My 2.4 already has this done.

Comment

Originally posted by J20 View Post
      Good question tashtego! I do have a bit of an emotional attachment but it comes down to money really.

The repair will cost me about stg 800 by the time I'm done and dusted. 1000 is the absolute limit of what I could afford and for that I could get a ragged 3.0 trooper (nearly scrap) or something that is actually scrap. There aren't many 2.4's or 3.0's over here and they go for 2-3000 in working order. Almost all have been imported from the uk.

If I were to get a uk car, I would have to pay
      1) purchase,
      2) uk tax to get to the ferry (50 quid?),
      3) ferry (150 - 250),
      4) Irish vehicle registration tax (35% of whatever the revenue decide its worth, so 1000 to 1400 quid tax),
      5) materials to convert to commercial spec,
      6) 100 quid to have it inspected by a dealer,
      7) 50 quid to have it weighed,
      8) 86 quid to have it tested.
      Then it will be legal. After that you do any upgrades.

Why bother with commercial conversion? Commercial vehicle tax is eur 330 per year. For a private vehicle this age it is cc based. the 2.4L is eur 1080 per year and the 3.0L is eur 1494 per year. If you don't need the back seats it's a no-brainer. My 2.4 already has this done.
      Yeah, I can see how in your case it makes sense to repair it.
      I didn't realise you were in Ireland,having to import the vehicle from UK, pay duties, registration etc..plus what you save in tax due to the engine size.
      It's just that I spent few weeks in England last summer and saw some very cheap and decent 3L surfs for sale, made me wonder why people still drive the 2.4s.
      Anyhow, really hope it all goes well, good luck!
      Fabrizio

Comment

If I was living in the UK again I would be going for a 3.0 and swap in the upgrades like you say. Either that or try to save up for an 80 series cruiser but that would be starting again.

Comment

Originally posted by J20 View Post
          A close up of the head at cylinder no. 4
          mine done same but cylinder,s 3+4

Comment

Hi all,

Gonna stick up for the old 2.4!

I have had a few old Toyotas over the years, and replaced a cracked cylinder head (between the valves just as yours is...) on a '93 Liteace 4wd. It then went on to do over another 100,000 kms, finally dying of an oil pump failure at 330,000. This was a great vehicle with three rows of seats, the same 4wd gear as the Surf, and did 37mpg on just about any fuel you liked.

These heads do crack, but only if they overheat! People are too quick in my opinion to declare the inherent weaknesses of the design, etc, etc. If you keep on top of the coolant system, replacing stuff at the very earliest signs of failure, they'll outlast an awful lot of other stuff.

I am new to the Surf, but it does seem very similar in it's design to other Toyotas of the era. I don't find it underpowered, and 26-29 to the gallon is fine for a 4x4 that only costs 1200 quid ish, isn't it?

Good luck to J20 with the repair, just be methodical and enjoy it when you get it back on the road!

P.S. Anything with a wheel on the back is a 'jeep' here too, just as anything that vacuums the floor is a hoover! It's not a crime...that is all!

Comment

I love my truck too.
              I guess we all have reasons why we choose the vehicles we have, am I gonna berate someone for their vehicle choice?
              No probably not.Unless it's a Prius.
              Let's get the" head issue " into context.
              The trucks are what twenty or so years old.At some point it is going to need repairing.
              The heads may be seen as a weak point.To which I would have to agree, but then on most cars if you overload the cooling system and run it dry or let it over heat you are going to have a large repair bill.
              On another vehicle ie petrol engine you might notice a sudden and increasing lack of performance telling you to stop and flip the bonnet.
              On a diesel you are probably not going to know until it's too late.
              The cooling system assuming that it is in good condition, ie coolant has been flushed and changed as per the manufacturers spec, the viscous fan is operating correctly, and the water pump and radiator are in good condition, is more than adequate for the task in hand.
              Could the radiator be larger? Probably.
              Is the Auto box cooler in the best position? Probably not.
              Do people scrimp on essential maintenance? YES.
              Are the trucks worked hard with massive trailers and overloaded? YES.
              The 3.0 engines are far from exempt from this "head issue" either, it may just be that they are now of an age where it is starting to become more apparent.
              So you shell out on a new good head bolt it on and trouble free motoring for hopefully another decade.
              I have bought cars that are half the age and a quarter of the mileage that have been total sh1t and I have spent more in 6 months on them than I have spent on the truck in years....

I think what I am saying is "haters gonna hate"
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
              X