No announcement yet.

Engine Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long prybar can be wedged into the pulley (the bent end 'curls' around the crankshaft bolt and slots into the pulley)

Comment

Did it run?

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        A long prybar can be wedged into the pulley (the bent end 'curls' around the crankshaft bolt and slots into the pulley)
        Managed to get the crankshaft bolt torqued up by removing the fan and using the shaft of an old (but big) screwdriver between the bolts of the waterpump (being careful not to cause any damage to the waterpump), it worked though.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
          Did it run?
          No mate, very nearly though. Ran out of time as it's our son's birthday today and we all going out to eat. That and the fact that the batteries died (ho-hum).

sprayed some easy start down the turbo and turned the key, my wife was spraying shots of easy start down the turbo while the engine was turning and it was starting to cough and splutter, then the batteries died.

Going to charge them up tomorrow and try again, hopefully it'll fire this time

Comment

Sounds promising, I'll await developments with baited breath lol.

Comment

Be careful with the easystart. Too much and you could destroy the engine.

Nev.

Comment

Oh, how come, can it cause some damage to seals?

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                  Oh, how come, can it cause some damage to seals?
                  Goes off with a big bang sometimes. I personally would not use it on a diesel. I do not like the stuff at all and never use it. Guy next door to me uses it all the time. The other day trying to get a brushcutter going. Once I told him to connect the fuel lines around the right way, it started and ran fine.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev, I didn't know that it could do that

Comment

Well, still didn't start.

It turns over no problem and coughs as though it wants to start or at least is trying to start.

Wondering if there might be some air trapped in the injectors, thinking of loosening them slightly to see if that helps, also wondering if putting my hand over the turbo intake to try starting it on neat diesel might help (just until it fires).

Any other ideas are much appreciated

Meanwhile, the batteries are back on charge again

Comment

I wouldn't bother blocking the intake, there's a throttle doing that already....and some air is needed!!

Most likely fuel, eliminate that first.

Comment

Thanks Andy, I'll open the injector pipes and make sure there's fuel getting through before turning it over again

Comment

Get someone to pump the primer as you crank the engine.

It's a self bleeding fuel system on the Surf.

Comment

Thanks Vince, I'll try that

Comment

Success!!
                                It started at about midnight last night, with the aid of two freshly charged batteries and some easy start, it fired and ran under it's own power for 3 or 4 mins.

Ran very poorly though, it would rev (didn't rev it too much) but not very well, further investigation confirmed perished injector seals allowing air in and fuel out.

Does anyone know the best place to get a seal kit for the injectors or a set of injectors that don't cost the earth?

However, the main thing for me is, I removed my engine for the first time ever, rebuilt it (well partly rebuilt it), put it back in, connected everything up and it started and ran for a couple of minutes. Feels great, knowing I've accomplished this

Comment

Working...
                                X