Engine Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like your making good progress.

When you get to the handbrake I have the rear half from where it devides in 2, if that's any use hit me up.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
      Sounds like your making good progress.

When you get to the handbrake I have the rear half from where it devides in 2, if that's any use hit me up.
      Wow, what a coincidence. That's where mine has snapped. Let me know what you want for it.

Thanks Andy

Comment

Ping me an email on andyverran@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
          Ping me an email on andyverran@yahoo.com

Email sent :-)

Thanks

Comment

Looks like the fun is starting now...........

Just about to try and start the Surf, all pipes and cables connected. Connected the batteries today and all the circuits seem to be working as they should. I still need to fill the sump with oil and the radiator with Toyota red. Turned the ignition on to check all circuits and all the idiot lights came on, and stayed on! I could have sworn that before I took the engine out, the dash lights would just stay on for a short while after the ignition was switched on, then all go out.

Could this be due to there being no fluids in it yet or, because the engine has been out? am I worrying without reason?

Also, I pulled the dipstick out and it won't go back in all the way, it seems to be about an inch from going all the way home, I can feel and hear it knocking on something that sounds hollow, I'm assuming that this is the bottom of the sump. I tried pushing a little harder and it went all the way home, but when I took it out this time the end was bent at almost 90 degrees. Strange thing is, I didn't dismantle the bottom of the engine at all, in fact all I have done in that area is to pull the dipstick out today, I've checked that it's not the wrong dipstick, I have the one from the original engine and this one does the same thing, also tried twisting it round in case I had in the wrong way but it makes know difference, any ideas?

Comment

How odd...endoscope in the hole?

Comment

Answered most other questions but that one has me stumped. So you just removed and tried to replace it and it bent?

Nev.

Comment

Hi Nev,

It didn't bend, I just removed it to check the oil level while I was filling up and it wouldn't go back in. All sorted now though, I tried a spare dipstick from the other engine and it was the same.

So, after a bit of investigation it appears that both dipsticks are exactly the same with the same effect, having said that though it's all sorted now apparently I wasn't being forceful enough, lol

Comment

Right then, going to try and start the Surf this weekend.

When I put the engine back in, I forgot to torque up the Crankshaft bolt, any ideas on ways to prevent the engine from turning so that I can torque it up?

Thought of just putting it in reverse but don't to risk damaging the transmission, the only other thing I can think of is to take the starter motor off and wedge the fly wheel / torque converter, unless someone knows a better way

Thanks in advance

Comment

They may well be better ways, but to get mine off (kinda similar!) I put a hoofing great cable tie round the PAS belt, obviously that couldn't pass over the pulley and held everything stationary.

PS Good luck with the maiden firing.
                      Last edited by andyverran; 27 September 2013, 23:03.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Andy, might have to give that a try.

A windy gun would be a great idea Vince, but I don't have one, lol. Thanks for the suggestion though

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                            A windy gun would be a great idea Vince, but I don't have one, lol. Thanks for the suggestion though
                            Frustratingly, I had a gun but no compressor....

Comment

There's always something missing Andy, I do have a compressor (it's only a small one) that I use for inflating tyres, not sure it run a windy gun even if I did have one

Comment

25ltr tank variety? That will run a gun in short bursts, I used to have one....I lost the custody battle.

Comment

Working...
                                X