Engine Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post

Am I right in saying that the connection that I have circled in blue goes on the stud that the glow rail bar attaches too?
    Yes. This stud is vertical. The glow rail and connections should be insulated from the stud and nut. Insulator with raised centre on stud first, followed by glow rail and therminal, then insulator with recessed centre, then washer and nut.

Therefore, is there another stud that points downwards underneath the inlet manifold that the ring connectors circled in orange attach too?
    Yes. It's a bit hard to get to, but the resistor is under the manifold. Again. make sure the insulator is fitted correctly. Refer to the links I posted.

Nev.

Comment

Aha, all makes sense now. I was trying to put the ring connectors in the wrong place.

Thanks Nev.

Don't suppose you know how to get the little nut type things off the top of a glow plug? the ones that sit inside the top hat shaped plastic things that screw on top of the glow plugs?

I screwed one on and it just started spinning, when I tried to take it off, the top hat shaped thing came off and left the small nut attached to the glow plug and I can't get it off now.

Thanks again

Comment

Don't suppose you know how to get the little nut type things off the top of a glow plug? the ones that sit inside the top hat shaped plastic things that screw on top of the glow plugs?

I screwed one on and it just started spinning, when I tried to take it off, the top hat shaped thing came off and left the small nut attached to the glow plug and I can't get it off now.

Thanks again
        Pointy vice grips or pliers. Maybe a tight fiting socket tapped on to get a grip. Replace with 4mm Flanged nuts. No real need for the plastic caps if everything is clear of the top of glow plugs to prevent shorts.

Nev.

Comment

Great, Thanks Nev

Comment

Ok, seem to be getting somewhere now.

The glow rail connections are completed, the glow plug resistor cables are connected to the right stud and the broken top hat thing has been removed and replaced with a suitably sized nut.

I did replace the glow plugs with new ones that came with the Surf, but they're slightly longer than the one's that were in there to start with (see pic). so for now, I've put the old ones back in just in case the longer one's are the wrong ones, I'm sure someone will let me know.

I know there will probably be a load more questions yet but I'd like to take this opportunity to say a HUGE thank you to everyone that has answered my many questions during this thread. I finally have the chance to do something I've always wanted to do and in all honesty I'm thoroughly enjoying every minute of it. Your help has been invaluable and I have learnt so much while rebuilding / replacing my engine, so looking forward to the end when I can turn the key and hear it fire up. (still worried it will go bang though).

I've bought 2 gallons of the red coolant but now thinking that I might need more, does anyone know how much a 2.4TD Auto takes?
            Attached Files

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24lt.htm

Comment

ooh, that's useful

Thanks Vince

Comment

I did replace the glow plugs with new ones that came with the Surf, but they're slightly longer than the one's that were in there to start with (see pic). so for now, I've put the old ones back in just in case the longer one's are the wrong ones, I'm sure someone will let me know.
                  Look up the GPT223 glow plugs here -

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...,d.dGI&cad=rja

There's a section with dimensions so check these against the ones you have.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev

Comment

next set of questions, lol

In picture 1, does the fuel pipe circled in yellow connect to the injector pump?

Where does the vacuum pipe circled in green connect to?

Somewhere in the area circled in red, there's a fuel pipe connection that sticks out horizontally, where does the fuel pipe that connects to this go to?

In picture 2, is there a vacuum pipe that connects to the pipe circled in blue and where does it go? Does it have something to do with the EGR system? If so, I've removed mine completely so do I just need to block this off?

Picture 3, I found this pipe attached to a clip beside the expansion tank, none of the ends were connected to anything. Any idea what it's for and where it connects?

Picture 4, the black part of this cable disappears into the inner wing on the drivers side, it doesn't seem to have anywhere to go that's obvious, does anyone know what it's for, where it goes?

Does anyone know the secret to attaching the kickdown cable? I just can't figure out how it connects

Thanks in advance.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by RebelV8; 8 September 2013, 02:45.

Comment

In picture 1, does the fuel pipe circled in yellow connect to the injector pump?

Where does the vacuum pipe circled in green connect to?

Somewhere in the area circled in red, there's a fuel pipe connection that sticks out horizontally, where does the fuel pipe that connects to this go to?

Picture 3, I found this pipe attached to a clip beside the expansion tank, none of the ends were connected to anything. Any idea what it's for and where it connects?
                        Pic 1, attaches to the fuel pump, not the top connector, the lower one closer to the front.

Pic 3, one end of that attaches to that thin pipe (that's joined to the rigid metal air pipe) crossing the rocket cover. I can't remember where the other ends go...

Comment

Pic 1: Fuel inlet hose. Connects to pipe down side of pump which goet to banjo fitting on front top of pump.

Vacuum hose (really pressure hose) goes to Turbo Pressure Sensor on back of air filter housing.

Not sure what you mean about red circle.

Pic 2: Hose from here to bottom of white filter that you see near the green circled hose. Again for the Turbo Pressure Sensor.

Pic 3: That is breather hoses for underslung air con fans. One to each motor and the other end into the clip facing down to keep water out.

Pic 4: No idea at the moment. Looks like something added and not factory. Is it live or earth?

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Omnia View Post
                            Pic 3, one end of that attaches to that thin pipe (that's joined to the rigid metal air pipe) crossing the rocket cover. I can't remember where the other ends go...
                            Wrong. See above post.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                              Wrong. See above post.

Nev.
                              Fair enough, there's a 3 way vacuum hose on the other side of the engine, I assumed it was that one

Comment

Thanks Nev,

The red circle was my attempt at trying to describe / show where there's a fuel pipe that sticks out horizontally from the inner wing.

all sorted now, it looks as though someone had at some point made a mess of the pipework. The pipe that goes from the top of the fuel pump was connected to the white filter that should have the turbo pressure relief pipe attached to it, that can't be right because that means that it would be putting fuel into the white filter, or sucking air into the fuel pump. Now, I know that's just wrong and it was running ok before the head cracked so can only assume that the person who dismantled the engine had attached the pipe to the white filter incorrectly. Doesn't half make it confusing when your not sure what you're doing though, lol.

Don't know if the cable in pic 4 is live or not, haven't tested it yet. I will though.

Just have to fit the radiator and batteries, add the fluids, then try to start it now. Then I can replace the ball joints, shocks and brake pipes and add the fog lamp that seems to be missing, replace the handbrake cable that seems to have snapped at some point and been repaired with a piece of chocolate block!

Comment

Working...
                                X