Alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator?

hi guys, newbie here! just got a 92 surf ssrx 2.4TD auto and was all fine for a about 250miles.
    then i tried to start it up form cold this morning and was greeted by a very annoying beep and a number of the warning lights on the dash staying lit (t-belt, oil filter, handbrake, a/t oil temp) handbrake light stays lit even when its not on. It all seems to be running fine though, i've a had a local garage have a poke and they said that the alternator isn't charging at all and that this is whats causing the problems.
    the car is still under warrrenty from the people i bought it from and i have arranged for them to send me a new alternator in the post cos i am currently living too far away fro them to return it to them.
    what i would like to know is. . .

does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis? I dont want to end up paying someone to remove and refit the new alternator if this is not going to sort the problem out.

i had a look through the older forum psots and it seems that at least one person has had a similar problem but i just feel like i need some reassurance at the moment. it had new batteries and timing belt just before i picked it up so im sure the warning lights are not correct.

thanks for any help you can offer!

matt

It certainly sounds reasonable. I've had this happen (dashboard lights and beeper on) after an off roading session when the alternator got flooded with mud and packed up and I'm pretty certain Koi has experienced the same. It may just be the brushes that need replacing but if you're being given a new alternator then go with it
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Go for the new Alternator.Replaced mine recently and your symptoms are the usual signs that it is faulty.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        Go for the new Alternator.Replaced mine recently and your symptoms are the usual signs that it is faulty.

Neville
        There is another post on here from someone, there is an alternator for sale on eBay.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
          It certainly sounds reasonable. I've had this happen (dashboard lights and beeper on) after an off roading session when the alternator got flooded with mud and packed up and I'm pretty certain Koi has experienced the same. It may just be the brushes that need replacing but if you're being given a new alternator then go with it

yep, all lights on dash lit up, twas the alternator.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

thanks for the response guys! most helpful, feeling a bit more confident now, will let you know how i get on after its been relpaced, hopefully by the weekend!

btw, i only just got this beast cos i needed something to cart large quantities of bikes, people and kit around in the forests but id really like to take it properly offroad too but have zero experience, anyone know of anywhere good in devon where i can have a play legally?

cheers!
            matt

Comment

Working...
            X