Fan switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan switch question

Guys hi. ive a 2LTE landcruiser, which was fitted with a viscous fan as standard.
    ive since removed the old fan and installed a 16 inch electric one. im having cooling problems so the thermostat is out at the moment. im changing the timing belt, waterpump and installing a new thermostat next week, which will be the 88 degree standard one. ill flush out the rad too. (any tips appreciated)

im manually flicking a switch on the dash to turn on the fan at the moment.
    the car had aircon. i took it out. the temp switch A in this picture is on my stat housing, as well as switch B.
    If switch A was for the aircon, its now redundant, so as an experiment ive hooked it up to the fan relay. however ive been inforned on the Oz surf site that A = opens circuit at 97 deg c then closes at 92 deg c
    its the wrong design for what I want

in the European spec surfs i think this is the fan switch? so maybe i could pull one out of a surf or a corolla (ive read)

kind regards,
    Redd .

second time ive been stonewalled on here. ill not stop trying though eh

Comment

'A' is the fan switch - the other is the temp sender.

Problem is 'A' only switches the aux fan on at high temps (about 104 degrees) which is too high for your application.

Your best bet is to either re-fit the viscous fan or buy a proper fan controller to fit into the top rad hose.

Most people on here have had trouble with electric fans. My guess is they don't flow enough air to get the job done properly.

Edit: just checked my 2.4 and it looks a bit different to yours. Best bet could be to buy the whole stat housing with the senders in it, if you choose to go that route.
      Last edited by wishbone; 2 May 2011, 19:53.

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...544#post714544

97 - 92 deg C is the temperature operating range of the Thermo Fan Switch on the Surf 2L-TE but this may not apply to the Cruiser.

Do you have a Model and Frame number for it so I can look up specific details on the type and location of these things on the Cruiser.

Nev

Comment

cheers! the Vin number is LJ780030715. its an auto.
          i went to get the viscous fan and have a play around with it, only to discover it had been chucked out. gah.
          Last edited by Redd; 3 May 2011, 02:22.

Comment

ok I come up with a 6/'92 model.

Part number 88790-60050 for the thermo switch but no details on temperature range.

Nev

Comment

What you need is a Variable Setting Thermo Switch.

Here's an example of what is available.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Contro...s-content.aspx

Nev

Comment

Been thinking about this and a replacement for the genuine 97/92 thermo fan switch which is available down under is a Tridon brand TFS115. This is for the factory setup and is a normally closed switch. You can see the specs here -

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Pr...5&G=483&P=2014

If what you need is a normally open switch, then I suggest you remove the original and wire it up to a multimeter and test with a thermometer, as you heat the switch suspended in a pot of water. This should give you a fairly accurate indication of it's temperature range. You can then look for a switch which is normally open in this temperature range, or another, if this is not suitable and use that in conjunction with a relay to run your fan.

Nev
                Last edited by NiftyNev; 3 May 2011, 07:44.

Comment

Nev thanks. the Tridon switch is the same as whats there at the mo?
                  i really need to get a decent thermometer. cooling systems eh.....

i was looking at that switch on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_3409wt_1062

Comment

Working...
                  X