Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheting, any help appreciated

OK, here we go,
    Had a long run to France a couple of years ago, did a couple of thousand miles in total and overheated a few miles from home, since then been not to bad but having to top up coolant now and then. As time has gone by things are getting worse and now I can drive all day as long as it dose'nt involve a long uphill motorway drag or a really steep uphill climb (not easy living in the pennines).
    I have only just realised that there may be a common denominator.
    Chain of events.
    1, leak from bottom hose (when hot) repaired
    2, leak from top hose (when hot) repaired
    3, radiator split on top (when hot) repaired
    4, radiator top hose outlet pipe split (when hot) repaired

Now here we go;
    Have I got a problem with the water pump as it seems that every time I find a leak or problem it semms to find the next weakest part. Or have I got a problem with the radiator.

Haynes manual mentions squeezing the top hoze and feeiling a build up of pressure. how much of a check is this ? Feeling the top hose I can't detect anything (new hose).

Any Ideas ??

Next thing is new water pump (£40.00) then it will be a new rad (£140.00)

All new filters & oil installed

Cheers Col
    All the best

Has your cylinder head every been replaced?

Comment

re

Ditto!

My Surf is perfect - or so I thought!

Climbing a large steep hill a few weeks ago and it went to 120'c and overheated?

WTF?

My cooling hoses and system are A1, new water pump etc. etc. how could this happen?

My head has also been done!

To be frank I think I need a new radiator!

I got it reconditioned about 4 years ago but I just think that it is knackered and just isn't doing it's job anymore!

As soon as I can get the moolah I'll order one up and fit it!

I'm betting yours is just too old and tired as well!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by frontman View Post
        OK, here we go,
        Had a long run to France a couple of years ago, did a couple of thousand miles in total and overheated a few miles from home, since then been not to bad but having to top up coolant now and then. As time has gone by things are getting worse and now I can drive all day as long as it dose'nt involve a long uphill motorway drag or a really steep uphill climb (not easy living in the pennines).
        I have only just realised that there may be a common denominator.
        Chain of events.
        1, leak from bottom hose (when hot) repaired
        2, leak from top hose (when hot) repaired
        3, radiator split on top (when hot) repaired
        4, radiator top hose outlet pipe split (when hot) repaired

Now here we go;
        Have I got a problem with the water pump as it seems that every time I find a leak or problem it semms to find the next weakest part. Or have I got a problem with the radiator.

Haynes manual mentions squeezing the top hoze and feeiling a build up of pressure. how much of a check is this ? Feeling the top hose I can't detect anything (new hose).

Any Ideas ??

Next thing is new water pump (£40.00) then it will be a new rad (£140.00)

All new filters & oil installed

Cheers Col
        Almost certainly, your cylinder head is cracked. It would have happened when you initially overheated and the cracks are getting worse as time progresses. Stuff keeps splitting and leaking because the system's pressurising and it's looking for a way out.

You have the choice to either keep it til it totally dies, then sell it on as a breaker (maybe £500) or replace the head (about £700 for parts, plus £500 labour, if you don't do it yourself). It all really comes down to what you want to do, what sort of condition it's in otherwise etc etc.

If you really like the truck and you have a bit of money, it might be worth getting in touch with Bushwhacker to talk about getting a V8 put in there. By the time you've got a new head, pump (which I would recommend) and various other odds and ends you're getting close to conversion money.

Comment

Working...
        X