Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential blown head?

Hi,

I drove a few miles up the M4 this afternoon, all was going OK until we came off onto the A4. We were going along about 40 on a straight piece of road (not uphill or anything) and suddenly the temperature gauge started moving up fast towards the red.

I pulled onto a side street and called out the RAC and waited. After about half an hour - 40 minutes I started the car to see if it would overheat on idle; it didn't although it didn't stay below half way as usual but there was not steady climb like there was when we were driving.

About an hour later the RAC phoned to say they weren't going to be with me for another hour so I thought I would try to drive home.

I got all the way from Baron's court to Hillingdon (about 10 -15 miles) and just as I was getting home the gauge started to rise again.

When the RAC arrived he took the rad cap off and there was a jet similar to Old faithful out of the radiator. He filled it up and it bubbled and pumped out slightly (rising and falling) rather than finding a level (his description not mine). He came to the conclusion that it was a blown head gasket, he seemed surprised that it was an issue with Surfs as was I because with 180,000 Km on the clock I thought that the danger zone had passed.

I have recently had a new water pump and thermostat fitted. When I take the oil cap off there is no white stuff visible just oil. Also there is no heat coming out of the heaters they are just blowing cold air.

Does this sound like a head gasket problem? How much is this likely to cost to put right these days? Is this about to become good money after bad I really enjoy my truck but what with the Green Zone and recent water pump repairs there comes a moment when pressure from my wife becomes intense.

Thanks for any thoughts

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you have a cracked head
    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

head gasket?

dont give up hope, try burping the cooling and fit a new rad cap and see? If that dont work last chance try k seal it has good reveiws and its cheap to try. After that your knackered its head replacement time, good luck

Comment

There are many things to try, but the head will still be cracked. Do not put K-Seal (or any other cooling system sealant) in it.
        Last edited by Albannach; 24 April 2011, 10:41. Reason: Edited for clarity.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          There are many things to try, but the head will still be cracked. Do not put K-Seal in it.
          ive put kseal in a rover and a ford and they both lasted for several months before symtoms returned, do you have experiance using it in a surf, i have and it didnt work but i had 5 cracks in my head, just thought it was worth a try before spending, i have read nothing on here about any harm it can do? am i wrong

Comment

it may be good in other motors but not in the surfs.You can end up causing more problems by using it.I have actually bought a couple of surfs as breakers that had this crap put in and in the end it cost them the surf instead of sorting the head
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks for info on surfs, are there any products of similar type that can work?
              ie:steal seal?

Comment

Originally posted by wald View Post
                thanks for info on surfs, are there any products of similar type that can work?
                ie:steal seal?
                No.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Cracked head

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback, Lord Lucan you were not the bearer of the bad news the RAC guy was, you merely confirmed what he told me. I am actually relieved to have something confirmed.

What is the difference between a cracked head and a head gasket? can skimming fix it or do I need a whole new head? What is the price implication? I have an offer to fix it for "parts plus" and with the gasket set, bolts, filters, cam belt and anti freeze I was considering it. Does a cracked head change the equation?

Thanks for you help.

Comment

Don't bother wasting money on head skimming. You require a new head and ancilliaries. If you really want to keep the truck, get ready for a rather large bill. Bear in mind, that if you look hard enough, for the cost of replacement, you will find a decent 3.0 litre (or a 2.7 petrol, like Yoshie just did). Youcould recoup some of the cost, by breaking this truck...lots of things to consider.
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

it is rare just for the gasket to ever go.You need to get the head off and get it pressure tested if no visible cracks can be seen.
                      Go to www.roughtrax4x4.com for head prices.I would get the built up head to save time and money having everything swapped over from the old head.
                      you will need a new gasket,head bolts,cambelt,c/belt tensioner and waterpump while its all apart and to save doing it later.You will be looking at about £1200 to about £1400 total unless you know someone to do it for nowt
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Blown head

Thanks for that I assume that its OK to drive a few miles here and there in the mean time if its going for breaking?
                        Last edited by surffinance; 24 April 2011, 19:27. Reason: grammar

Comment

The head has a crack.

Probablly if you're stranded in the bush it could be welded and last a bit, but either change it or sell the truck unfortunately.

Stevo heads seem to be the best, with the roughtrax being OK.

Comment

Originally posted by surffinance View Post
                            Thanks for that I assume that its OK to drive a few miles here and there in the mean time if its going for breaking?
                            Yep. You won't do it much harm as long as you keep the coolant topped up and just do small journeys that don't let it get up to full heat. It will, however, get worse and become gradually more useless, so don't put off getting it sorted just because it 'seems fine' for a while.

Comment

Working...
                            X