tapping noise in engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
    You don't 'have' to pay, it's voluntary but it helps pay for all this good info you're not listening to to be hosted on expensive servers.

Vince should have said...

"Over 100 posts professing wisdom and experiance and you don't even know how to start a Surf yet?"

To help you on the right track....

Newbie 2.4 start procedure...

To get the most 'glow' out of the plugs on a 2.4 you need to turn ignition on, light will stay on for a few secs, then go out, then a click, keep waiting till you hear a beep behind the dash then start it. If it doesn't do this you have something amiss.

Your fan should not be on unless A/C is on or engine is really hot.

If you do want to contribute to hosting space for us to abuse you, the link should be up the top sticky somewhere or in FAQ.

Thanks but I obviously have a problem as I don't have a click, and don't have a beep and the glow plug light is on for less than a second? where is the relay pleaseeee! I will start there, then if that is working as all the fuses are fine I will check the glow plugs, thanks
    NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Three day`s later. Silence.

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
        Three day`s later. Silence.
        well in this thread 3 times I asked for which relay is to the glow plugs and either no one knows or no one can be arsed to say so give up
        Last edited by Diesel Turbo; 27 March 2011, 18:05. Reason: spelling
        NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Turbo View Post
          well in this thread 3 times I asked for which relay is to the glow plugs and either no one knows or no one can be arsed to say so give up
          I recall it being in the engine bay - maybe near the air filter. Although I may have just made that up. It's the relay that's connected to the glow plugs, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Turbo View Post

You're either very lazy or not very observant.
            Open the bonnet, prop it open, and look at relay shaped things around the engine compartment. You'll see a relay with Glowplug relay written on it in yellow print. This is believe it or not, the glowplug relay.
            To help you find it quicker, it's NOT hiding anywhere under a cover or inside a fusebox.

Off you go.

Comment

Is this vehicle hard to start from cold or hot?
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                Is this vehicle hard to start from cold or hot?

I think it starts OK up north, but it won't start in Cornwall.

Comment

Oh that explains it...only four or so pages ago, I seem to remember him saying it was fine starting from cold, but took a few seconds when hot...is this the case?
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Oh that explains it...only four or so pages ago, I seem to remember him saying it was fine starting from cold, but took a few seconds when hot...is this the case?
                    I believe so. We seem to keep going off on tangents here. If I recall correctly. this thread is about a tapping noise.

Comment

Well I'm feckin confused now. If the glow plugs are wombled, why does it start well from cold?
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Well I'm feckin confused now. If the glow plugs are wombled, why does it start well from cold?
                        I dunno. I was just answering whether you had to pump the throttle before starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                          I dunno. I was just answering whether you had to pump the throttle before starting.

Don't be silly, the carb will flood.

Comment

Working...
                          X