water loss? baffled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water loss? baffled

i`ve got a 2.4td surf and had it for 3 years with no problems,recently the top of the radiator started leaking which i`ve now repaired,but i noticed it was still loosing water,i`ve replaced the rad filler cap and the thermostat,i checked the oil when i serviced it it was clean and i can`t see any sighn of water,one thing i have noticed is that the bottom of the radiator is cool or cold is this right or could there be a blockage,i`m baffled as to the water loss any suggestions would be greatly recieved.

Originally posted by Reddog
    i`ve got a 2.4td surf and had it for 3 years with no problems,recently the top of the radiator started leaking which i`ve now repaired,but i noticed it was still loosing water,i`ve replaced the rad filler cap and the thermostat,i checked the oil when i serviced it it was clean and i can`t see any sighn of water,one thing i have noticed is that the bottom of the radiator is cool or cold is this right or could there be a blockage,i`m baffled as to the water loss any suggestions would be greatly recieved.
    Sounds like a blockage or an airlock to me. I think it would be good to drain and flush the system and then refill it slowly. You may want to use Radflush in it as well.

Also a good thing would be to change the rad cap and thermostat while you are at it.

The water loss is possibly the water going from the expansion tank if there is a blockage it will expand too much and blow out of the overflow pipe.

Cheers

Comment

what mileage is on your surf .the radiators do block up but normally only on high mileage vehicles.anything from 100000 miles onwards.take the radiator out and see how fast water flows through it and see if any dirt comes out of it,should give you a good indication.if the coolant has never been changed it can solidify in your radiator and on the insides of your hoses.if you squeeze the pipes you can often feel the solidified coolant cracking off the inside of the hoses,its usually worse on the bottom radiator hose and the heater hoses.hope this is of some help

Comment

cheers for that i`ll try the rad flush to check for blockage,its not got high milage only 48000,but sounds like a gud idea to do the chem flush an try the slow fill nice one will let you know.

Comment

Working...
        X