Frozen,overheating problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen,overheating problems

Yesterday morning my surf started, sat and warmed up for a few mins then drove about 3 miles when i noticed the temp guage was at max, stopped and found it was boiling and steam coming out of the expansion tank, took the radiator/water cap off to release the pressure, let it cool down for a bit then filed it up with water, ran fine for the rest of the day and put it down to the fact that it was a cold night and didnt have enough anti freeze in it.
    This morning went out and checked to see if it was frozen before turning the engine and found pipes frozen not solid but slushy, got blow torch under the engine and thawed the whole thing out, drained as much water out as i could and put load of anti freeze in, bit late but yea i got it running and all thawed out and its running now with heat coming from the heater.
    Problem is its running like a bag of shit, engine check light is ON, ticks over fine but give it a little throttle and thats when the revs go up and dont come back down again and all i get is a load of black smoke and i have to turn the engine off then start it again to get it to idle.
    I took the thermostat out of it yesterday, maybe thats why the light is on and why its idling high with black smoke? any ideas?

Put thermostat back in, but check light still staying on and still runs rough with a lot of black smoke idles at about 1500rpm, turn engine off then start and it idles fine under 1000rpm with no smoke until you press the throttle again.

Comment

sure you havn't melted something important with the blow torch?

why did you leave it to freeze again overnight not knowing if it had enough anti freeze? :slap: lol

what fault is the engine check light showing?

i doubt its anything to do with the stat.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Well i didnt leave it overnight again without anti freeze, but i obviously didnt put enough in so it froze again this morning...hehe
        How can i find out the fault the check light shows? it just comes on a few seconds after engine start and stays on.

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62

1/2 way down first post.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just took it out for a little run and it seems like the turbo has no boost, altho i can hear it spooling up but theres no boost.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

what fault is the engine check light showing?

It flashed 12 times

Comment

There's a small 'J' shaped rubber pipe under the throttle body. If it is disconnected you will have no boost.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

Code :12 is timer control valve (Fuel pump related)
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 1 December 2010, 16:10.

Comment

I checked all the little vaccuum hoses and they all fine.

The pump sensor thing that the code 12 says it is, is there a way of fixing this? is the whole fuel pump fooked or what? this is my only mode of transport and im really stuck without it and i cant afford to spend money fixin it .

Comment

How long since the timing belt was done. Code 12 can be related to incorrect timing because of belt problems and maybe skipping a tooth or two, on the pump.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                      How long since the timing belt was done. Code 12 can be related to incorrect timing because of belt problems and maybe skipping a tooth or two, on the pump.

Nev
                      32k since the last timing belt, i think ill wait till the weather changes and we get rid of the snow, then ill get it inside and strip it down and get a better idea of whats going on, probably see if i can get another head or whatever it needs when i can afford it. Might even sell it for spares and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X