Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel seized onto hub

Hi Folks,
    I need to remove a seized rear wheel(n/s) which probably by way of oxidation of the alloy and the steel hub has caused it to seize, several attemps have been made to rotate the wheel as the tyre is struck from the inside,wd 40 sprayed between hub and wheel have also come to no result.
    I'm thinking of using a puller to free the wheel,any further suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Rockjasper

put a block of wood up against the wheel an give it a love tap wit a sledge hammer mite take few goes but it'll get it off an wont damage the wheel...wen your puttin it back on put some copper grease on the wheel where it makes contact wit the hub an it shouldn get seized again

Comment

It happens a lot, it just needs a good smack from the inside as mentioned above.

I have a huge heavy copper mallet that works a treat on the inner rim, but mind any wheel weights.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

seized wheel

Many thanks to Dara and Tony for your replies,I guess the problem is more common than I thought,will give your suggestions a go,and let you know how I've fared. thanks, Rockjasper

Comment

There is another method...
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            There is another method...
            If it dosn't involve a BFH and possibly damaging things then its no good...

Spill the beans....

(i've tried loosening wheel nuts and driving round in circles in the past, but seemed a little irresponsable to post publically...oops... )
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I remember me and Ian (nero) watching a tyre fitter lay under my truck and whack the inside of the tyre with a 4 foot lump of 2" steel box section!!

Alan
              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                (i've tried loosening wheel nuts and driving round in circles in the past, but seemed a little irresponsable to post publically...oops... )
                I was going to suggest that. [Legal disclaimer: do not do this] There, now that you can't sue me, undo the nuts a mm or so, and give it some stick around a car park!

The other thing I'd try is heat, always good for loosening things up. Try a few sessions of long, heavy braking, or even drive a few yards with the handbrake slightly on (not too much or you'll wear it out/break something) to heat the rear brakes up, then quickly try to get the wheel off before it cools down.

Joking aside though, these are just suggestions, and would be done at your own risk.

Cheers,

Andy
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Which is why I didn't post it, it's fraught with possible issues. But did work for me, in the absense of a BFH.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Which is why I didn't post it, it's fraught with possible issues. But did work for me, in the absense of a BFH.

Jess
                    "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                    X