Surveys.........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveys.........................

I think i read somewhere on here that there was a survey conducted regarding the head issues.
    Why not do a survey of all Surf owners that have had NO head probs to date. Hopefully it will show that this head problom is not as common as it seems.
    Just a thought. .....muncher

Originally posted by muncher
    I think i read somewhere on here that there was a survey conducted regarding the head issues.
    Why not do a survey of all Surf owners that have had NO head probs to date. Hopefully it will show that this head problom is not as common as it seems.
    Just a thought. .....muncher
    The poll did not just ask for those 2.4 owners who had problems to come forward, but also asked for those without difficulty to say so and vote, see here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/pol...ults&pollid=14
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks morr should put a few minds to rest, has mine.

Comment

That is very reassuring!

Is that survey based on just 2.4s or all Surfs? I'm picking up an imported 2.4 in week or so, but I'm gettting paranoid reading all about the head stuff!!! I'm being offered an AA warranty with it, but when you look at the terms, they exclude engine gaskets, so not sure if the head did go, whether it would be covered, of they'd argue it was a head gasket problem, any view or experiences?

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
          That is very reassuring!

Is that survey based on just 2.4s or all Surfs? I'm picking up an imported 2.4 in week or so, but I'm gettting paranoid reading all about the head stuff!!! I'm being offered an AA warranty with it, but when you look at the terms, they exclude engine gaskets, so not sure if the head did go, whether it would be covered, of they'd argue it was a head gasket problem, any view or experiences?
          That particular survey was only directed at 2.4 owners.
          Maurice

Comment

Original survey can be found here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3654

Any 2.4 owners who have had their surf for a few months should pop along and vote if they have not already done so. This will help update and increase the accuracy of the poll.
            Maurice

Comment

Paulc, What the survey did't say was if the head probs effected a particular gen of surf. My take on it , for what its worth, is that the earlier 1st gen Surfs were effected most. . There are far more unaffected surfs than effected outthere so enjoy. It's a crackin motor wish i'd bought one ages ago. One thing i would do is get it serviced. Unless you get evidence of previous servicing it's worth it for piece of mind. Also make sure the cam belts have been changed. Should be done around 100,000km.
              Happy motoring...........muncher

Comment

Originally posted by muncher
                Paulc, What the survey did't say was if the head probs effected a particular gen of surf. My take on it , for what its worth, is that the earlier 1st gen Surfs were effected most. . There are far more unaffected surfs than effected outthere so enjoy. It's a crackin motor wish i'd bought one ages ago. One thing i would do is get it serviced. Unless you get evidence of previous servicing it's worth it for piece of mind. Also make sure the cam belts have been changed. Should be done around 100,000km.
                Happy motoring...........muncher
                Can't see that we would have much to back that up, another poll here showed just 3 members with 1st Gen models. http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3693
                Therefore the the majority of those who responded to the survey were 2nd Gen owners (3rd Gen does not have a 2.4TD).
                Maurice

Comment

Guess i was talking bottom then

Comment

Maybe... but I'm amazed 80% of 2.4 owner have not had a problem, when you look at all the head problem post and replies on the site, you get the impression it seems to affect a huge number. I guess it's down to problems getting all the coverage, and non-problems not - if you see what I mean. As I said earlier I've not picked mine up yet, and I'm already having sleepless nights over the head bother!

Comment

Originally posted by paulc
                      ...you get the impression it seems to affect a huge number. I guess it's down to problems getting all the coverage, and non-problems not - if you see what I mean. ....
                      Exactly.
                      Maurice

Comment

Head poll

Hadn't had a problem when I voted. But now.......
                        I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Remember the survey asked if you had replaced your head. It did not ask if your vehicle had ever had a new head, after all most of us have no idea what happened to our cars before we bought them. Similarly we do not know if the head is going to go next week.

It could be that by the time a Surf is 14 years old 99% have had new heads. Similarly it could be that very few have had a new head before they are 12 years old. Ten to fourteen years old seems to be the time for it to go.

I'm just an average Surf owner who made what has proved to be a shrewd decision when buying my Surf.

I am grateful for the fact that I have the intelligence to appreciate that a forum such as this represents people with amazing levels of technical knowledge which they are ever willing to share, even if they lack the emotional intelligence to relate with other members of the forum in a polite manner without being condescending.

Keith

Comment

Don't see the point of this thread.
                            Nor the sense in polling 2.4 owners about head problems, it may give you some statistics but thats about it.

I learned years ago that statistics are bull, if only 1% of surf owners heads crack and you happen to be that 1%, then according to you its 100%!!

My head went and I asked everyone on this forum for advice, if it didn't go I wouldn't have mentioned it. Simple.

Those with head failure should accept this and those without except that head failure is going to be part of this forum as long as people buy surfs of that era.
                            Stop needling newbies about head questions, no one is asking you to reply.
                            I'm not interested in off roading for sport because I do it all day long (part of work) and have driven loads of hours off tarmac in the RAF, but I don't harpon about whether there should be a place for it on this forum. If you want to do it fill yer boots! Besides I may decide one day that its for me, just like one day all those unafflicted with head problems may get the expensive sauna treatment.

Live and let live. The forum is a broad church, hope it stays that way.
                            Ronnie

Comment

Whether you agree with stats or not this forum has highlighted a weekpoint that being the head! I have owned many vehicles even in just the past 3yrs. been on forums like this for all. There always seems to be something that fails perculiar to certain vehicles, eg BMW E36 2.5 head gaskit and water pump, Other cc's had the nikasil nightmares!Ford Probe 2.0, dizzy problams, 2.5 v6 elecs and so on.
                              I have to say that i only experienced the water pump problam with the beemer.
                              Forums like this keep you informed of possible weak points and i must admit in this case, its an expensive possible. That said I still would have bought the Surf, i'm still keeping it and if something goes wrong i'll post it on here.
                              Kieth your last para, whats all that about. Whitespider this threads point?

Comment

Working...
                              X