yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a fuel cutoff solenoid on the 2.4 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a fuel cutoff solenoid on the 2.4 ?

Hi All,

Have just received my compression tester so will be checking my '93 2.4 at the weekend. (Had problem with the crankshaft seal working loose)

I need to disable the fuel supply when I test and have just searched for 'fuel cut off solenoid' and think I won't have one as it's a 2LT-E. (spill valve instead?) Is there a simple way to stop the fuel ? I'm thinking remove the fuel filter and crank a bit....

Cheers,
    Rob.

rob behave yourself, loosen all the injector pipes
    JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Cheers Tel, you wideboy you..

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        Cheers Tel, you wideboy you..
        essex chav

Comment

All done - meant to be 441 psi, (within spec down to 280)

Mine were 2 cylinders at 400, 2 at 420

Looks like I'm ok for a bit.
          Last edited by wishbone; 28 November 2009, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            All done - meant to be 450 psi, (within spec down to 280)

Mine were 2 cylinders at 400, 2 at 420

Looks like I'm ok for a bit.
            was the 2 cylinders at 400 next to each over? mmmm

Comment

Yep - 1 & 2. were 400, 3 and 4 were 440 (thought it was 420 but just had a look at the bit of paper I wrote it on)

You're gonna tell me my head gaskets gone now aren't you ? Grrr!!!!

Comment

Funny thing is the 2 at 440 were exactly at 440, the other 2 were exactly on 400. The toyota manual says it's within spec but.....
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok will try and test again tomorrow, but when I test no1 I'll take the glowplug out off no2 aswell. If the reading goes down then I'll know they are bleeding into each other.... Good idea ?

Rob.

Comment

I would have taken all the glow plugs to reduce the load on the battery. If it is leaking between 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 then as one piston goes down, the other comes up plus a valve would be open on one whilst the other is compressing. Therefore if it had blown the gasket between them, the compression should be well down. Try squirting a drop of oil in through the glow plugs. If this increases the compression, chances are the rings are leaking.

As you say, they are within tolerance and given these engines are not exactly new, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I retested last weekend and they do get back to 450 with a little oil. Removing the plug on the adjacent cylinder makes no difference so hopefully no gasket trouble.

This also explains the bit of smoke I get on startup. Think I'll try and hold out for 6months and do all the rings over the summer.

Rob.

Comment

Dont forget to Hone the bores when you do the rings or they won't bed in.
                        IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Working...
                        X