Just broke down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just broke down!

Morning all, my truck just broke down on the motorway.

About 5 miles into my journey, the engine started vibrating (possibly dropped a cylinder) but it picked up again if I accelarated.

It lost power though, 65mph max. No smoke, no overheating, no abnormal noise. When I slowed down for a junction, it cut out and now won't restart. Changed the fuel filter to see if that's what it was. It wasn't. The truck tries to fire, but doesn't.

Anyone had this before? Save me some diagnostic time.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

don't suppose the timing belt slipped has it throwing the timing out or would that cause a rattle in the engine
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

are you using veg oil? at all

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
        don't suppose the timing belt slipped has it throwing the timing out or would that cause a rattle in the engine
        Could be, but it didn't 'feel' like that.

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
          are you using veg oil? at all
          Yes, 40% SVO.

Comment

I have had the power loss due to too higher ratio of veg oil on a cold day
            and the none starting but they where unrelated (starter motor contacts)

Does sound like fuel starvation though but I guess you know that...

Comment

I have had the power loss due to too higher ratio of veg oil on a cold day
              and the none starting but they where unrelated (starter motor contacts)

Does sound like fuel starvation though but I guess you know that...
              Yep, that's my thoughts. I'm hoping I've just choked an injector? Definitely not a starter issue, it turns over no problem.

Getting it recovered in a bit.

Comment

using veggie it could be the added pressure has caused the fuel pump to pack up ... has your been leaking at all?

Just a thought

Comment

using veggie it could be the added pressure has caused the fuel pump to pack up ... has your been leaking at all?

Just a thought
                  It leaked about a year ago, replaced the seals and it's been OK since.

Comment

Oooo sorry to hear that mate
                    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      Morning all, my truck just broke down on the motorway.

About 5 miles into my journey, the engine started vibrating (possibly dropped a cylinder) but it picked up again if I accelarated.

It lost power though, 65mph max. No smoke, no overheating, no abnormal noise. When I slowed down for a junction, it cut out and now won't restart. Changed the fuel filter to see if that's what it was. It wasn't. The truck tries to fire, but doesn't.

Anyone had this before? Save me some diagnostic time.
                      Best get a qualified mechanic to look at it !
                      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                        Lol now see I showed self restraint in not mentioning the search button
                        How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                          I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs View Post
                            Lol now see I showed self restraint in not mentioning the search button
                            I did.

Comment

Qualified mechanic looked at the truck. First thoughts were fuelling, so he tried all the usual things, new filter, filter by-pass, blow back to the tank, nothing.

Then he tried the ezi start, that was a revalation, what a noise! But still no go.

Tried turning the engine over and bleeding each injector, 1, 2 & 3, fuel at injector, no difference to engine when cracked. Number 4 however did make a difference, when it was cracked the engine slowed down on the starter. This is when he started thinking the head had gone.

Where he is now is, the front is off the engine and the timing checked and is spot on, so it's not that. When the engine is turned by hand, it turns very easily, too easy. 2 crank revs only produces one induction sooky noise. Again pointing to the head.

It's dark now, so he's gone for a shower. Tomorow evening, he's going to take the head off.

Unless anyone can suggest something else that may be amiss?

Comment

Working...
                              X