No announcement yet.

aircon advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks mate somthing to be going on with will take a quick look in a sec and let you know

if the switch has burnt out im assuming i can rewire using new relay and switch or will this just engage disenged the clutch
    ta

ok jumpered the compressor and the clutch engages left running for 10 minutes still luck warm air cant see much in the little window

im now assuming it just needs regasing after i have rewired the switch i have a relay and switch thinking of just running new switch for now any ideas for a wiring diagram i am pretty handy and have a pretty good understanding but cant afford to damage anything

i cant find any labels as to waht gas is in there is there any other way of telling

heres the diagnostics thus far

with engine running if i press the A/C switch on the dash the A/C fan under the engine spins up but not clutch

with engine running if i press the A/C switch on the dash the A/C fan under the engine spins up and clutch when jumpered from battery (assume this could be due to low gas "safetey switch" so will i have to regas first or can this be bypassed fro short burst just to ensure both clutch and fan spin up when a/c switch pressed

still warm

so the way i see it i have 2 problems somthing isnt fireing from the switch to engage cluth (relay/fuse) all fuses in the engine bay seem ok

not sure if i can hear any relay click when pressing a/c switch

so firstly any ideas on how or where to start looking for electrical fault for clutch as once i have sorted this ie press the a/c button fan and clutch spin up i will then get the system pressure tested and regased and fingers crossed problem solved

i know its saturday night and you all probably have somthjing better to do but any help is much appreciated

thanks for all your help so far
    Last edited by BAV1; 4 July 2009, 20:46.

Comment

is one of those pics of the aircon relay from under the dash cause if so i got one in the garage somewhere from a breaker if needed
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

cheers stormforce will let you know looking at my diags is it possible that the clutch just isnt engaging due to low gas may just get it regased and then look at electrical if it doesnt fire up

what do you think thanks for your patience on this one out of interest how much would you want for the relay should i need it

cheers again

Comment

thats ok mate we're all here to help each other.
          £5 posted ok with you.If i cant find the one i had taken out i will get the one from the 4runner before its cut up and scrapped
          If there isn't enough or any gas then the air con won't work.There are guys about that will regas and renew the seals for the aircon for upto about £100

Comment

cheers mate will let you know i think the saftey switch just stops the clutch from engaging does that sound about right im still trying to find out what gas is in it as cant find any sticker is there any other physical way of telling

with all your help i am becoming quite an expert on the trucks mechanics and have so thanks again

if i could just get this last question resolved i can get the thing regased and hopefully be a little cooler as we drive one of the best trucks around not sure this is possible

Comment

the original gas was r12 i think it was and the modern gas is r134 but i will check on my truck tomoz on what gas is in it now

Comment

hi mate ta i know what gas should be in the r134 but dont know what is actually in i think the system needed some changes in order to taek the new gas is there anything i can see apart from the sticker that will give me a clue as to whats actually in there

thanks again

Comment

the old gas will be r12 so that will need to be released and i think its some new seals or something that need to be replaced in order for the pump to take the new gas r134.I'll see if i can find the info on what needs to be done but a decent aircon guy will know exactly what needs to be done

Comment

cheers mate will bare that in mind hoping that this may have already been done just trying to identify if it has or not so i dont get ripped off

do you know if there are any visible differences between the before and after believe the refil nozzle may be different ???

Comment

If the gas has been replaced then the only way of telling is with a sticker put on the body under the bonnet somewhere saying R134.There's no signs that i know of that will tell you if its been done already apart from this yellow sticker

Comment

what does the yellow sticker look like so i know what im looking for ta

Comment

hi again BAV1,
                          you cant get r12 anymore cos it is banned.
                          as you can get it running with the flying lead and cant get any cold it is short of gas.
                          email me where you want the adaptor posted to and i will send it monday,as stormforce said there maybe an issue with seals but i have done plenty of R12 to R134a converts and have had no compatability problems.the work involved in changing from r12 seals to r134a is in the realms of a properley equiped service shop and not for the home diy.the main issue is the oil but as your system is empty it should be ok just get the gas from halfrauds with the additional oil.if you are worried about seal compatability then you will need a drop in like r49,which would be very expensive nobody will sell you 500grammes of the gas you would have to buy a 11kg bottle then you would need a manifold set, a vacuum pump, nitrogen+nitrogen guages, a flushing agent thats just cost you about £900 .
                          so as i said before either pay the man.
                          down here in the wilds of wiltshire it would cost you about £50 or take a chance with can from halfrauds.
                          i dont have to pay for R134a cos air con is my trade .and i have put R134a in my 93 surf and the air coming out is cold about 4 deg c
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

cheers guys think i will take the advice and pay the man worse case it needs new seals what are we looking at price wise

shokenore is it somthing you can do if so how much would you charge when you say aircon is your business are you self employed

thanks again for all your help appologies for interupting your saturday evening

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                              hi again BAV1,
                              you cant get r12 anymore cos it is banned.
                              as you can get it running with the flying lead and cant get any cold it is short of gas.
                              email me where you want the adaptor posted to and i will send it monday,as stormforce said there maybe an issue with seals but i have done plenty of R12 to R134a converts and have had no compatability problems.the work involved in changing from r12 seals to r134a is in the realms of a properley equiped service shop and not for the home diy.the main issue is the oil but as your system is empty it should be ok just get the gas from halfrauds with the additional oil.if you are worried about seal compatability then you will need a drop in like r49,which would be very expensive nobody will sell you 500grammes of the gas you would have to buy a 11kg bottle then you would need a manifold set, a vacuum pump, nitrogen+nitrogen guages, a flushing agent thats just cost you about £900 .
                              so as i said before either pay the man.
                              down here in the wilds of wiltshire it would cost you about £50 or take a chance with can from halfrauds.
                              i dont have to pay for R134a cos air con is my trade .and i have put R134a in my 93 surf and the air coming out is cold about 4 deg c

hi mate can you pm me so i can reply with my address cheers again bud

Comment

dont worry about any disturbance i think if i have to sit thro' another csi miami i think i will go mad.
                                i can reclaim the remaining r12 and leak test and advise as reqd. but lets be honest your truck is what 14-15 yrs old if you are planning on keeping it for a long time doing the seals might be worth while
                                but to be honest i would just think of regassing as part of your regular service .all car makers have checking the air con as a service item the garages just dont do it on normal cars but they will your high ends ie porsche merc etc
                                all and i mean allcar air con leak you are only talking about 400-800 grammes of gas after a while the gas weeps from out of the crank seal and also will permeate thro' any hose going technical the gas molecules are smaller than the hose molecules and the gas is under pressure up to about 120 psi on a hot day... thats before the system starts

as i said before do it yourself spend £30 down at halfrauds and have the satisfaction of fixing it yourself.
                                i live in wiltshire by the time you have driven down here and back you could have paid for the gas from halfrauds
                                i will send you an adaptor so you can hook up to your system i take it your compressor is like the one in the pics?
                                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X